Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

This is not a first in Toronto. Allied properties just completed The Queen Richmond centre, a tremendous addition on top of the brick and beam building. Similar structural concept by adding a steel structure to independently support the new tower above. The same contractor, the Walters Group that installed the structural steel structure. Its looks like Allied will be doing more of these additions on top of buildings as they own many properties downtown. The Hearst Tower in NY added 41 storeys on top of an existing building, also with an independent steel structure. I think we will see more of this Toronto follows NYC in the intensification of downtown.

Is anyone gonna miss the architecture of the existing building after it turns to glass?

I will!! I hope that we don't see too many more projects like this where we loose existing period specific buildings and their unique architecture.

This is not a first in Toronto. Allied properties just completed The Queen Richmond centre, a tremendous addition on top of the brick and beam building. Similar structural concept by adding a steel structure to independently support the new tower above. The same contractor, the Walters Group that installed the structural steel structure. Its looks like Allied will be doing more of these additions on top of buildings as they own many properties downtown. The Hearst Tower in NY added 41 storeys on top of an existing building, also with an independent steel structure. I think we will see more of this Toronto follows NYC in the intensification of downtown.

Did they also dig underground for more parking at the same time though? I know there was also an office building in Vancouver that expanded upwards while it was still occupied a few years ago.

I will!! I hope that we don't see too many more projects like this where we loose existing period specific buildings and their unique architecture.

Well this one is in pretty bad shape - they would have to remove the concrete scrims since it's falling apart, and it's doubtful anyone would pay to replicate that. The end result would be the same.

AoD

This is not a first in Toronto. Allied properties just completed The Queen Richmond centre, a tremendous addition on top of the brick and beam building. Similar structural concept by adding a steel structure to independently support the new tower above. .
This one is not analogous to the QRC West project. For QRC, the the brick and beam building was emptied, gutted, and rebuilt in concrete and steel. With this one, the office tenants are still in the building while work to deepen the garage, strengthen the columns, reclad the building, build new elevators, and add to the top is going on. This one is more analogous to Harhay's much smaller 90 Broadview, where a couple floors of office were topped by several new condo floors.

They went down an additional 3-4 parking levels over the past year or so working with mini excavators all while people were in the tower were still there. Its pretty cool to hear what the workers there have to say about it. Not sure we have too many buildings of this scale being constructed in this manner in the city.

Looking east on Dundas from west of Spadina, earlier this evening:

DSC05445.jpg

Attachments

• DSC05445.jpg
    DSC05445.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 1,662

The steel structure is an exoskeleton steel structure, independent of the existing structure. I think it will be visible through the curtain wall glass. .The One on Bloor is also constructing the tower using an exoskeleton steel structure. The One has a very exposed and nice design, the steel structure is along the outside and through the lobby. and it looks like The One gets column free floors.

This is my new 'most-exciting-project-to-keep-track-of'. Because Picasso is almost completed. Have high hopes for this one!

Back