Toronto The Residences of 488 University Avenue | 206.95m | 55s | Amexon | Core Architects

The office building is going to be clad in curtain wall, not window wall - with exposed structural steel bracing behind it.

The tower will indeed be window wall.

I work at this intersection - I saw pieces of a tower crane on the University island in front of that mobile crane, so that's definitely what it's for. This will be a very unique project to witness - adding a 35 storey condo tower on top of an existing 20 storey office tower that was built about 45 years ago seems both insane and awesome at the same time.

not to mention the "top down" construction of the parking garage underneath the building

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,336
This is definitely going be fun to watch! It must cost a pretty penny and some innovative engineering to make this feasible and cost effective. Only 155 Cumberland comes to mind in terms of steel-additions atop existing high-rises, but even that doesn't compare height-wise to this project. I expect The Britt (Sutton Place) to follow a similar approach.
Look wise, I'm expecting this to look similar to Hullmark Centre's tower 1, especially with the curtain wall for the offices and window wall for the residential.

Here are a few more cell phone shots from today. Exciting stuff!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 935
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 958
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 915
Last edited:
Is the office empty during this ?

Currently occupied to my knowledge.

Is the office empty during this ?

Oh, it's occupied. And not much fun for the tenants, especially those who work after 5PM when the heavy vibrations start from the work in the basement (and now to remove the cladding from the main floor). Soon to appear are temporary interior walls as the old cladding is removed and new curtainwall added.

Back