Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Eight storeys of small independent businesses, I hope; a vertical Kensington.

Your funny, this is not the Aura project, even owners in Aura are having an extremely difficult time renting out units in that building with rents being so high, even the 200 sqft stores are sitting on the market for months on end. Independent business will have a very difficult time surviving in an area where today the going rate is as high as $320 per sq-ft. Even if you multiply foot traffic 5 fold the independent businesses will burn through cash in less than a year, I've seen it happen so often its actually become normal for them to go out business after 1 or 2 years.
By the time the development is done and owners move in I would not be surprised to see it hit the $400/sq-ft mark. In their Davenport project Mizrahi is charging between $50-$75 per sqft which is close to the $100/sq-ft top end that Landlords are charging in Cumberland/Yorkville/Hazelton.

Last edited:
Define billion dollar luxury. Think we'll have the same dozen or so closets per floor as any other tower here.

^You don't honestly believe little Kensington independents are in any way appropriate for what may be the most luxurious residential tower in Canadian history, do you? That shows unbelievable ideological rigidity. Boho commerce has its place surely but not everywhere and certainly not here.

Just a thought... It would be cool if they designed this tower to be 301m tall, so that it kinda resembles its address

You guys are such amateurs. Obviously it would make the most sense to have a 1 km high tower.

No seriously though, what are you all going on about?

^You don't honestly believe little Kensington independents are in any way appropriate for what may be the most luxurious residential tower in Canadian history, do you? That shows unbelievable ideological rigidity. Boho commerce has its place surely but not everywhere and certainly not here.

Where did I say that? My point though remains that even if the combined real estate of the finished tower approaches a billion dollar, it may still be a mid market tower full of investor sized closets. This is our market. Aura is likely over $700 million. Look at some of its retail.

I did get a good chuckle out of the most luxurious tower in Canadian history though. What gives you that impression?

Me too! I actually LOL'd when I read that. It's just going to be tall it doesn't mean total luxury lol. I love reading these hilarious claims and exaggerated expectations. Keep them coming because they always make me smile when I know people are so out of touch with reality and live in a render world.

Where did I say that? My point though remains that even if the combined real estate of the finished tower approaches a billion dollar, it may still be a mid market tower full of investor sized closets. This is our market. Aura is likely over $700 million. Look at some of its retail.

I did get a good chuckle out of the most luxurious tower in Canadian history though. What gives you that impression?

My apologies. My post was kind of misdirected. The fact that the project represents a billion-dollar investment in the heart of Bloor-Yorkville pretty much guarantees it will be a luxury product. Also, a billion dollars is unprecedented for a residential building in Canada which makes me think the level of luxury will be unparalleled for the Canadian market too. And there's also a global architectural brand attached to it. I may be proven wrong, of course, but I think it's safe to say that The One won't be just another mid-market investorbox.

Last edited:
There's a community meeting on March 11th - I don't think we'll see anything until then

Back