Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

It's a shame that much isn't done in this city to enforce heritage preservation once a building is designated... There are scores of buildings designated as heritage that are in sever states of disrepair.. heck TCHC owns a few!

The public outcry here seems misplaced to me...

I'm looking forward to seeing the first rendering for this project! I find it quite exciting. The transformation of the downtown core has been so remarkable. My hopes are high. This better not be garbage.

Yeah, much of the frustration/overreaction here arises from the incoherency of heritage practices in the city.

I think it's simpler than that...it's incoherency about what constitutes heritage. Hire a few experts who know what they are talking about, and ignore the crybabies.

You'll know just how not important Stollery's was, by how fast people forget about it.

Take right next door with I Bloor East for example. Remember Roy's Square, and how everybody cried, and cried, and soiled their diapers about it being demolished.....for ten minutes. One Bloor East is only half built and nobody even remembers what Roy's Square was.

Same thing will happen with Stollery.

The public outcry here seems misplaced to me...

Well, if you must know, and this seems to be *repeatedly*, *repeatedly* lost here--had Mizrahi not gone about it the way he did, we would have been able to "absorb the loss". Yes, with the inevitable bit of token sentimentality and "Toronto keeps losing its etc etc" around the edges--but we would have been able to absorb it.

Which is why I'm absolutely flabbergasted at how a certain UT segment is brushing it all off almost to the point of cheering Mizrahi on for his actions.

Oh well; that's what comes when, urbanistically speaking, you'd "rather fly by Porter", I suppose.

(And speaking of that metaphor: when I think of it, you can draw from it a truly inspired term for our Stollery's-style fabric: "urban flyover country".)

I would call the facades of some historical buildings in Paris 'quite impressive'. I wouldn't call Hue's 'quite impressive'. It's oldish and it's Toronto and it's nice, and it'll be shame when it's gone, but it's hardly 'quite impressive'. And in its current state it's actually kind of garish and cartoonish.

By the sound of things, re our respective abilities in exploring, judging, and appreciating Paris's urban fabric, I'd likely clean your clock.

(Edit: that's a metaphor, not a physical threat.)

How about this for the corner? New Foster to be built in New York City.

Attachments

• -1x-1.jpg
    -1x-1.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 833
Agreed. I'm also hoping Foster comes up with something with some unique colour. I love 1bloor, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about 2 75 storey blue monoliths at that corner

I like that design but just not at the top. the vertical lines following the side of the building make it look somewhat like a fountain. I would be happy with a refined and taller version of this on the corner.

Anybody who is hoping for anything other than glass here is going to be sorely disappointed, there is next to no precedent for it in high-rise in Toronto.

As for the Foster above (the first one), it seems quite appropriate to me. I like the podium and I like the verticality of the design. The nod to deco is nice, a little flourish without competing too much with the drama rising beside it.

Back