Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Part 2 of 2 take on October 9, 2024:

Davenport and Berryman:

IMG_4336.jpeg

I think a quick check on the building's plan will resolve this.
Good call because, for the record…
I’m not a physics expert, but if the top of the core is already taller than 1 BE, how come the shadow shows that it's still lower? Can a shadow from a building across the street be distorted by perspectives so that it actually appears lower than the actual height?
This is nonsense. You would need to have knowingly photographed precisely when the sun lies in the same horizontal plane as the roof surface, thus casting a shadow up to an equal elevation on the background, normal surface. Even then, several sources of error (from more complex physics) make this a poor approximation.

Last edited:

This is nonsense. You would need to have knowingly photographed precisely when the sun lies in the same horizontal plane as the roof surface, thus casting a shadow up to an equal elevation on the background, normal surface. Even then, several sources of error (from more complex physics) make this a poor approximation.
That was pretty much what I was about to say. The photo by @jer1961 on the previous page was taken from 5 km away, a distance far enough from the site (despite The One being in front) for me to conclude it was at least the height of One Bloor East. Although the photo by @mburrrrr suggests it has yet to surpass the height of One Bloor East, it was also taken slightly closer to One Bloor East than The One, but the difference is negligible. Of course, if The One has not yet surpassed One Bloor East, it will do so very soon.

Let's move on to some photos of The One from this morning:
20241011_070931.jpeg

20241011_072740 copy.jpg

20241011_074532.jpeg

20241011_074636.jpeg

Nonsense or not, the record (elevation drawings, thanks to @ ZEBuilder) shows the top of the 74th floor, which I assume where the core is now, is 256.175 m, while One Bloor East’s height (according to UT’s data) is 257.24 m. I guess I must have been extremely lucky to catch the shadow at a point when it was close to its real height.

As to whether the core is actually at Level 74 or 75 (which would surpass 1BE’s height), I admit it’s a bit difficult to see, as all the floors above Level 70 are fully hidden behind that blue covering. But based on the height of the floors, I’d say there are 3 fully formed floors behind that cover, not 4. The core rises 1 floor above the top floor, and the columns are about the same height as the core.

Anyway, clearly we’re about to hit a milestone here. The next and more interesting milestone will be surpassing First Canadian Place’s height (298 m), which will make it the tallest building in Canada.

Back