Toronto The Modern | ?m | 17s | Empire | DTAH

moderncondo-15-07-2011.jpg

Is that cluster of buildings in the top center Thorncliff Park? Then look so close, it looks like another part of downtown. Great angle.

17 September 2011 update: black brick=yawn. (so 2007)

Your world-weary dismissal of black brick is the real yawn. We're not talking the latest fashion trend when we talk about buildings. While Vogue and the like deal with this season's hem lines which rise and fall with the economy and last week's news, the architectural world moves more slowly, and its products last far longer than what you pull on in the morning.

Part of me wants to know which brick colour you would like, and that part also wonders how long you'd like that colour before you got sniffy about it too, but most of me couldn't give a toss what you think.

If you don't give a toss what he thought, then why make the effort to post so state that you don't give a toss what he thinks?

Your world-weary dismissal of black brick is the real yawn. We're not talking the latest fashion trend when we talk about buildings. While Vogue and the like deal with this season's hem lines which rise and fall with the economy and last week's news, the architectural world moves more slowly, and its products last far longer than what you pull on in the morning.

Part of me wants to know which brick colour you would like, and that part also wonders how long you'd like that colour before you got sniffy about it too, but most of me couldn't give a toss what you think.

The fact that black brick has had a surge in use since the Diamond + Schmitt Ctr for the Perf Arts doesn't detract from the fact that it's a gorgeous brick to work with. The Danes have been using it like crazy for decades. There is tons of it in Berlin. And it was big in the 50's in parts of Canada as well, mainly in high-end gov't and office buildings - slightly lighter in colour but similar.

Compare to the yellow brick that was ubiquitous in Toronto for a good half of the last century.

Somethings risk being dated or trite but I think this isn't one of them.

Last edited:

He doesn't want brick, or stone, or anything. He likes plain glass cut-and-paste boxes with wrap around balconies (as long as they're aA of course). See 88 Scott vs. 501 Yonge comments.

He doesn't want brick, or stone, or anything. He likes plain glass cut-and-paste boxes with wrap around balconies (as long as they're aA of course). See 88 Scott vs. 501 Yonge comments.

This is getting absurd. Whether or not UD's comment was germane is one thing, but I thought you guys were the 'why-can't-we-all-just-get-get-along/don't-resort-to-personal-attacks' crowd?

This is getting absurd. Whether or not UD's comment was germane is one thing, but I thought you guys were the 'why-can't-we-all-just-get-get-along/don't-resort-to-personal-attacks' crowd?

Funny you say that and yet I get your not so why-cant-we-all-get-along comments on my post in the 88 Scott thread ~

Why should we limit Toronto to being a red brick city? Much of our remaining historic architecture is faced in buff-coloured brick too, so I don't think that the perception that we are all about red brick is all that accurate. Besides, how dull to stick with one colour.

Meanwhile, red brick does not necessarily equate to sensitivity with the surroundings, eg. the recent Options for Homes project on Keele in the Junction a case in point.

Back