DSC_0981.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 441
  • DSC_0977.jpg
    DSC_0977.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 423
  • DSC_0979.jpg
    DSC_0979.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 430
^^^But a canyon of what, exactly? A canyon of mediocrity? I don't see any buildings here that are even remotely interesting architecturally. (The Sick Kids' research tower, which does have merit, isn't really part of this "canyon.")

Lol. Relax there hot stuff, I'm not challenging your manhood. It's an observation, and a fact. I made no inference to quality or style.

^^^Okay. I'm sorry for being overly sensitive and going on the attack. It's just that architecture, both of individual buildings and of buildings collectively, often gets thrown aside for stuff like canyons, street walls, height, skylines...I just wish there'd be more attention to design excellence, to the "fine grain," to how buildings meet the street, to their materiality, etc.

I agree, though I don't think it's ever the intent of planners to actually create a canyon (aside from Dubai). It almost always boils down to return on capital per square metre. It's a little worrisome that taller and taller buildings are creeping closer to hospital row, an area that definitely benefits from uninterrupted natural light.

I agree, though I don't think it's ever the intent of planners to actually create a canyon (aside from Dubai). It almost always boils down to return on capital per square metre. It's a little worrisome that taller and taller buildings are creeping closer to hospital row, an area that definitely benefits from uninterrupted natural light.
Toronto city planners are not unaware of canyon conditions on certain streets, and new buildings on those streets are all judged against how they might support and enhance the street wall. So, yup, there is some thought given to it.

This has been an empty lot for so long...since I moved here to go to Ryerson. Bay Street had always seemed a 'back alley' to Yonge. I hope all these developments bring some much needed life to Bay above Dundas to Wellesley.

Back