Toronto The Charles at Church | 152.7m | 47s | Aspen Ridge | BDP Quadrangle

Talked to a resident who said they've been asked for rent cheques up until June of this year. Apparently they're entitled to 6 months notice to leave the building and those last 6 months would be free. I asked about future arrangements but it hasn't been worked out yet. Existing residents are entitled to a similar unit in the new building at a similar rent plus financial assistance with rent for about 3 years while the building is under construction. The girl I talked to currently pays about $1000 for a 2 bedroom apt. and says it's pretty well guaranteed she'll have to leave the area because of the expense. I think some ppl were offered a buy out but she didn't know the figure.

Last edited:
That was an incredibly busy place, especially on weekends. It's hard to believe the owner didn't make arrangements to re-open somewhere close by like the old Spirit's spot half a block north.

They probably did okay at this location but not good enough to relocate to a new one.

I liked Lola's a lot, but that's a lousy way to treat your staff. Even if they weren't doing well enough to afford to relocate, I'm sure they had to be doing well enough to do right by their workers.

Agreed on both counts above. But it's not just lousy. Lola's directors may be staring into the mouth of personal bankruptcies over unpaid notice vis section 131 of the Ontario Business Corporations Act.

Lots of moving trucks outside the building the last few days and Lola's Kitchen and the Mexican restaurant have closed. Here's a last look at the corner;

churchcharless718.jpg

Attachments

• churchcharless718.jpg
    churchcharless718.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 1,113
The Church-Wellesley area is getting a shiny new condo building, but not everyone is happy

47-storey mixed-use development is just one of several planned for the neighbourhood

Desmond Brown · CBC News · Posted: Sep 04, 2018 8:32 PM ET

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...veral-planned-for-the-neighbourhood-1.4810587

"I'm never happy when you see development come through a neighbourhood like the Village," Wong-Tam told CBC Toronto.

Interesting choice of words.

In fairness, I think her wording was poor but she meant the form that development is taking, more than the additional density. I think most people in downtown Toronto accept increased density and what it entails - but people are starting to question the point-towers-everywhere approach. I sure don't look at this project and go, "There's more great density for the area!". I think "Oh... another missed opportunity to do density right."

Back