Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

I can't wait to see how this takes shape; it's going to be a long 2 years for those of us that are waiting to move in.

2? Try 3+

Good point JayBee, but we actually might see this project track on schedule since they do not allow any unit upgrades or customizations. I can imagine this will cut a lot of time off the build. But I guess we will have to wait and see ;) Although it does not look promising when construction was to begin Nov. 1st and the site has not made any progress.....

Good point JayBee, but we actually might see this project track on schedule since they do not allow any unit upgrades or customizations. I can imagine this will cut a lot of time off the build. But I guess we will have to wait and see ;) Although it does not look promising when construction was to begin Nov. 1st and the site has not made any progress.....

Rule of life: optimism about a building's speed of construction is never rewarded. I'm going to guess four years.

And it begins!

BERCZY.jpg

haha, true :D just look at one bloor

Yeah...no kidding. It's one of the reasons i cancelled my purchase in the 10 day period. I felt it was going to be 8 years before One bloor was completed. Some laughed at me...but we'll see. Best case is 7 years i think.

The thing is, because of the high prices, i saw many buyers in there pushing into their 50's. Now project out 8 years and what have you got?

Answer....a 'Senior Citizens Home'. LMAO......who knew?? Who wants to live with a bunch of old fogies?? Food for thought anyways.

Yeah...no kidding. It's one of the reasons i cancelled my purchase in the 10 day period. I felt it was going to be 8 years before One bloor was completed. Some laughed at me...but we'll see. Best case is 7 years i think.

The thing is, because of the high prices, i saw many buyers in there pushing into their 50's. Now project out 8 years and what have you got?

Answer....a 'Senior Citizens Home'. LMAO......who knew?? Who wants to live with a bunch of old fogies?? Food for thought anyways.

Well, given that any younger generations there will probably be fat and riddled with diabetes it is a tough call.

Do you have absolutely any basis whatsoever for assuming that One Bloor will take 8 years?

Last edited:
Do you have absolutely any basis whatsoever for assuming that this project will take 8 years?

LOL, his rationale is based on jealousy. How many projects do you know of that have kicked off within six months of going on sale?

This is great news.

LOL, his rationale is based on jealousy. How many projects do you know of that have kicked off within six months of going on sale?

This is great news.

I think myfive was referring to One Bloor taking 8 years to complete since it has been on the table (in different forms) numerous times. Berczy I think will take much less time than that :p Scheduled occupancy is late 2012 so I'm guessing 2013 would be a good guesstimate as to when we will be able to move in.

Do you have absolutely any basis whatsoever for assuming that this project will take 8 years?

EDIT...Yes i was talking about 1 bloor. The Bercy should be much quicker. Nice location if you got in on this one!

Guys...just a gut feel from being in the showroom, staring at the model, and recalling so many other projects. I was in on the Uptown on day 1 and they were saying 2 years, and i said at that time 5 years. That was July 2005, so it looks like it will be at least 6 if it's ready next summer. BSN is partially complete, and that one i believe was 6 years. Casa was realtively quick amongst this group at 4.5 years. I think they were rushing to get it done before that HST implementation on July 1 this year.

Most people don't realize how long these things take. I love 1 Bloor. I hope it comes up quicker. I really do think you're looking at a minimum of 7 years on this. Heh, if Uptown and BSN are 6 years, 1 bloor will be at least 7 at that pace.

The purchase agreement allowed for all kinds of delays up to about 2020 i believe, which would be 10 years.

This is why i joke that it will be a senior citizens home when it is completed.

Sorry, maybe that is bad humour! I live in CASA so ican't wait for 1 bloor to go up. It will be great for the neighbourhood.

Last edited:
The application for redevelopment itself dates back to January 2004:

"Proposal and Application History
In January 2004, Concert Properties submitted applications for Official Plan and Zoning By-law
Amendments for redevelopment of the properties at 70 The Esplanade, 6-16 Church Street and
51-61 Front Street East."
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2006/agendas/committees/te/te060613/it008.pdf

This UT thread itself is 3.5+ years old, and this project is already 6+ years in the making.

Although it only went into official sales recently, Concert has been advertising this site for quite some time. If Concert had gone into sales in and around the time they submitted their application, than 8 years would be actually an understatement.

Don't get me wrong, out of any site for new construction in downtown Toronto I'd want to invest here (prime, prime location), but "8 years" of development, depending on how you define 8 years, is not as flippant as it sounds.

Back