Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Application: Sign Permit Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 11 308215 SGN 00 SP Accepted Date: Nov 10, 2011

Project: First Party New

Description: To erect and display one ground sign with static copy, in conjunction with a new condo developer. **Tridel**

has anyone comparedour growth versus other cities like chicago. are we cathing up? surpassing? or leaping ahead when considering future development of both cities.

I took inspiration from NYC's Hudson Railyard proposal. I understand that the image on the right is an office building, but I am sure that a similar roof top element could be implemented here. Or the building could be set back a bit, like you mentioned android. The left building in the NYC proposal does have a slight setback, which adds a tad bit of visual interest.

120harbour-test.jpg

Hahaha...nothing concrete on this one from Toronto city planning, but these guys seem to know all about it.
From DCN.........http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/...ec7a61256544&projectid=9146828&region=ontario

CONDOMINIUM APARTMENT BUILDING, RETAIL
Proj: 9146828-1
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS
120 Harbour St, M5J 2L9
$110,000,000 est
Start: January, 2015 Complete: January, 2018
Note:
Project is very preliminary. Schedules for design, tender, and construction have not been finalized at this time. Further update spring 2012.
Owner & Architect WILL NOT accept unsolicited phone calls regarding this project.
Project:
proposed construction of a 75-storey condominium building containing 774 residential units and retail at the ground level.
Scope:
75 storeys; 5 storeys below grade; 774 units; parking for 344 cars; 1 acres
Development:..New
Category:...Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

I love the flatiron podium, but it should have gone all the way to the top like that, like CN's vision...

It seems like the only thing that truly visually distinguishes the protruding windows from the rest of the building is the light coming out. That seems unlikely to carry over into real life once people move in and put in their curtains. My fear is that, without those accents, the tower will become nothing more than a mundane Parade-style box.

The vertical protruding windows create an interesting facade effect. The glass looks high quality based on that close-up rendering. Usually Tridel's renderings show obvious signs of spandrel usage such as Metrogate, and Alto. This one looks mostly spandrel free and potentially curtain-wall glass. Using quality materials makes such a huge difference. Good chance that this might be Tridel's first impressive project. Hiring Wallman for their go-to man for their urban core projects has done wonders for Tridel's downtown portfolio.

It seems like the only thing that truly visually distinguishes the protruding windows from the rest of the building is the light coming out. That seems unlikely to carry over into real life once people move in and put in their curtains. My fear is that, without those accents, the tower will become nothing more than a mundane Parade-style box.

It might be possible that they'll use a white frosted glass to maintain the effect, although residents might be upset if the protrusions aren't vision glass. Either way, it does look like different tints and shades of glass will be utilized.

They should just rotate the building until one of the corners match up with the podium, giving it the illusion of a flatiron and they wouldn't even have to change the simplicity of the square floorplans!

Another simple fix, or something that I think would be acceptable in 'box' Toronto, would be to rotate the tower 45 degrees halfway up.

seeing the rendering in better resolution (thanks Ed), I think the vertical white strips accents won't realistically be visible when the building is built because the rendering is showing as if all the units in 1 particular column of suites all has this 1 light turned on at the same time (which we know that never happens) ... so the vertically aligned projecting 'box' windows may not be all that pronounced, unless it is white fritted glass in these areas

Disappointing. This is a prime spot for something exceptional, and we just get a slightly dressed up box. I'm losing faith in local architects.

Back