Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

True. All it takes is a few brick or stone buildings. Seriously though. Y is every building going up made out of glass?????

Also, here are some buildings "made out of glass"; the material is not the problem. If you're looking for a building that stands out in the south downtown core, then Ten York does at least a pretty good job of delivering on that by virtue of the colour of its cladding.

I, too, would love to see a wider diversity of materials on tall buildings introduced all over the city, but glass in itself isn't a barrier to interesting or unique buildings.

52f0f7259b2a6.jpeg

source

165568607.jpg

source

Shanghai-Tower_Gensler_dezeen_936_1.jpg

source

Oh no. Is it just me, or do I sense another wave of disrespect for TEN YORK? Because if it comes, I won't be happy.

It's spandrel with badly thought out vents. This be the minimum standard.
I'm sorry to judge your post, but I feel that is an insult to TEN YORK. How in the world is it spandrel?

How in the world is it spandrel?

There is a lot of spandrel on this building, but it's in the form of curtain-wall shadow-boxed units, rather than window-wall back-painted glass, so the effect is far superior.

I'm very pleased with how this one is turning out.

True. All it takes is a few brick or stone buildings. Seriously though. Y is every building going up made out of glass?????
because it's much cheaper?
First of all, buildings are clad in glass, not made out of glass. To answer your question, it is because developers like to produce glass condos. Urban Toronto is criticizing them because they ae always repeated.

Both are being used for this project actually. Full description here: http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2016/07/cladding-installation-underway-tridels-ten-york-street
From the article:

Curtain wall windows will cover most of the tower, except for 4 bays in the middle of the north and south sides of the tower. Each bay will feature two window sets with vertical angled fins featuring a platinum coloured finish coating the fins. The windows are modified window wall panel with openable window in the centre, and horizontal bands of shadow box at slab level.

Also, the tower is about the same height as the Waterclub Condos to the south now. Time for an update!

Last edited:
This, my friends, is a photo dump. Tried to get it from all around to show different views and illustrate show it'll ultimately relate to its surroundings.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg