Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

That's probably not unreasonable. I know 5000 Yonge, a 20'ish storey tower, is slightly over 300 ft, and it has no roof treatment. So just proportionately I'd guesstimate a 30 storey tower to be about 450 ft, plus mechanical, and then Telus has that weird roof thingy with the glass extending up another two or three floors. Low 500's seems about right

I think he means the really thin white spire, which is much higher than the glassy roof element.

"so what's the height of this one again?"

It seems that it might be somwhere between 400 and 525 feet- give or take.

Canuck36,

Sorry mate, I have a habit of storing tibits of information in my head but not recalling where I obtained the information.

Canarob is correct though, the height included the needle like spire extending beyond the glassy facade.

I have it on a good source that digging at the site began today.

It did, I was down there. They were removing the land berm along the railway tracks, and they had started digging around the perimeter of the site.

It's been a while since the last update. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow on the way to work (if I wake up early enough to walk rather than cabbing).

By way of an update, though, I walked by yesterday - they are about two storeys down on the western third of the lot, and the embankment built up along the rail tracks has been removed from about the site. That'll make more sense with pictures.

Just a couple things I've heard about Telus: Curtainwall installation is scheduled to start in December '07, that horizontal banding pattern is going to be ceramic frit (looks much nicer/cleaner than the usual aluminium caps), and they're putting piles of money into the base of this tower. I also heard they're currently finalizing the design of a ground floor connection between Telus and the ACC, which would include (I assume) the new portal to Union.

Of the 3 large commercial towers u/c downtown right now - I predict Telus will easily turn out the best, even though it's the smallest

I agree, Dan. Even though it is "just" an office tower, it looks like it will be more in keeping with the ... dare I say it? - local style that is currently establishing a sense of place for Toronto.

well i'd hardly call it the local style since it's essentially just a stubby rip off of the NY Times tower.

Not that rip-offs are bad or anything. (Think of how we now dig all those 50s Lever House rip-offs, or 20s Saarinen Tribune Tower rip-offs, etc)

Back