Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

I heard from my own source that the current design of 501 Yonge is based after Lanterra's Murano towers... same idea here.

To be honest, I would think that expecting a "bait and switch" plan from Lanterra is going to let you down. The CURRENT plan is for a Murano-style development.

Muranocopy.jpg
501Yonge2.jpg

Last edited:
That's unfortunate because I really hate Murano--they're two of the most soul deadening glass boxes in the downtown and do nothing for the street--and the untreated concrete columns are one of the my biggest pet peeves in the city.

Murano columns.jpg

Attachments

• Murano columns.jpg
    Murano columns.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 1,870
That's unfortunate because I really hate Murano--they're two of the most soul deadening glass boxes in the downtown and do nothing for the street--and the untreated concrete columns are one of the my biggest pet peeves in the city.

View attachment 7540

I KNOW! Why can't they be as good as those down at ROCP?!?!?!??!!? EPPPPIIIIICCCCC!!! LOLROFLLMFAOLOLOLOLOLOZZZZZZ!!!!!(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

actually, I don't really like Murano either, at least not the base........and Irish's comment had no reference to RoCP, don't understand ProjectEnd's odd response..:confused:

A Murano-type of base/podium on Yonge Street would be a disaster, imo..

I love the design of Murano, but I'll admit that it's pretty dead at street level. For now I'll chalk it up to the condo sales centre operating out of the retail units.

I think the problem is that it's too long and too monotonous a wall along Bay. If there ended up being patios or street vendors or something else to break it up it wouldn't be so bad.

I think the problem is that it's too long and too monotonous a wall along Bay. If there ended up being patios or street vendors or something else to break it up it wouldn't be so bad.

I think you are right....

None of Clewes' buildings are particularly friendly in how they meet the street......I think on Yonge St. it's crucial that they keep the pedestrian interaction with retail at an open/non setback/in your face level, otherwise we are tinkering with everything that makes the street special...

View attachment 7540

I like Murano but I agree how it kills the street, like at least 50% of the condos on Bay Street plus it's been done already (X2 gets a pass here). This is exactly why I oppose condo development on Yonge Street, have we learned nothing from Bay Street?

Agree totally DT.....making Yonge a 'condo-free zone'.....not a bad idea, but would probably start a world war at city hall...

What our city planners need to focus on is less on arbitrary height restrictions/shadowing issues, and more on design quality - with a special focus on street interaction & street context.......sometimes I think that nobody knows how to build urban retail anymore; the developers need a kick in the ass to ensure they preserve the urban retail greatness that exists on Yonge, Queen W., etc - FIRST, before any other considerations about height & density.....

Also, to all who complain about how terrible aA and Murano are, which condo would you suggest features a better grade/street treatment?

Back