Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

The diagram seems to show the front of the building going right to the property line. Would it have killed them to set it back a couple metres to line up with the Marriott to the south (and the blocks south of that) and provide a wider sidewalk? Seems like a no-brainer, honestly. A wider sidewalk with room for some trees might help mitigate the loominess of a monotonous 7-storey above-ground parking garage too.

Don't forget the Yonge Street facing side will have a public Art component covering the parking levels. Also there will be retail on Yonge and the Side streets. (I'm assuming 2 level retail)

Hopefully the Public Art Component is lit up at night, otherwise, this building will be foreboding.

I think you 'hit the nail on the head' Traynor
We probably will see many changes before the final product.
I say rearrange their footprint and add 20-25 floors to one and take 20-25 off the other.:)

^the render posted by Cal is pretty much exactly what Aura looked like (probably is Aura)... before the much loved re-design.

But- the prospects that 501 will magically transform into Absolute east or Aura east... don't count on it.

Send Lanterra a compelling (objection) email. UrbanToronto likes to flex its muscles now and you folks are members.

Last edited:
^the render posted by Cal is pretty much exactly what Aura looked like (probably is Aura)... before the much loved re-design.
It is the previous version of Aura. It's an unofficial rendering that I made a number of years back.

Traynor: I didn't grow up with tv or pop culture and even though I could easily access it now, it still doesn't interest me. While I did google BBT etc just now I honestly had never heard of it before. (Between work, twitter, ut, real life etc I simply have no time for tv nor am interested in finding time for it. So yeah, big yawn...)

Someone who sounded more at home as an extra on The Big Bang Theory; in a scene at ComicCon asking Levar Burton why his character in episode 186 of STNG, pressed a button clearly used as Warp Core Ejection in a previous episode, this time to lower the blast doors.

:confused:
LCARS panels can be reconfigured with ease to suit the task at hand. Any panel in Main Engineering could be reconfigured to perform either of those tasks.

I go away for a bit, come back, and suddenly everybody's coughing up furballs over a design that's sooooooo preliminary. You'd think that aA had kidnapped and tortured your mother the way that some of you are going on.

What aA building has gone up that's ugly? None, but a bunch of them would have started like this.

Right now this is all Lanterra, telling aA to give them something from which they can work out just how much space they can get, so everything is at maximums, and there are no real refinements yet. It's part of the process (and not a pretty part).

Not that I'm saying that what is proposed at this point is acceptable, but still, the hissy fits going on here are sumpthin' else.

That isn't Stinson under the mask, is it?

i stopped watching the video after five (5) seconds of that masked person appearance; i just couldn't take him seriously. anyways, this project sure has polarised the opinions of a few people here. which, i suppose, is a good thing for a forum.

This is pathetic; Lanterra has no marketing savvy at all. If they get this project thrown out altogether, they have no one to blame but themselves. Great idea "let's propose something hideous so we can get a quick approval”. Really what are they hoping to achieve? I can't believe this project has any supporters other than those who Lanterra are paying. Why not put some thought into it and propose something elegant, something that catches the imagination and admiration of all? Wouldn’t that make things easier at city hall?

Caltrane74 on SSP:
One Tower, 260- 280 Meters (point tower style) - lots of room for sunlight to get into the neighborhood surrounding the development. Retail ground level, with a historic context for Yonge Street in the late 18th century to match the existing buildings north of the site.

Well that is what the developer wanted all along. It's the old "bait and switcheroo"...

They had no intention of building those hideous two towers on that hulking podium. They wanted extreme height and something stunning but couldn't get the permission. So they release a horror show of a render and scare the begeebus out of the City. The City sees how bad it could have been and then scramble to approve the point tower. The City collectively wipes its forehead and says "Phew! We dodged that bullet!" All the while Lanterra is laughing that they got what they originally wanted.

http://501yonge.ca/drupal/forum

I wouldn't be surprised if you could backtrack who started that website, that they actually work for Lanterra.

Yeah, I'm a conspiracy theorist! Wanna make something of it? :cool:

^ I quite agree - thats really the only explanation for such a morbid proposal. It's usually quite effective too.

I hope they gey approval for something in the 90 to 100 storey range - provided they can come up with a vastly improved street front. why not something like Hullmark - only taller?

Why would a developer with a site large enough to support two point towers choose to rather build one really tall point tower?

Why would a developer with a site large enough to support two point towers choose to rather build one really tall point tower?

That is the point... This site really IS NOT large enough for two towers...Especially with the massing they proposed. Lanterra knows this and they know the City knows this. It's all a game to get more height.

:cool:

Back