Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

Looks too sterile and windswept for me. Why can’t they simulate storefronts?
This looks like it came from the suburbs.
I dont like whats there now, but across the street is interesting.

Last edited:
If they can't get past their staunch pre-conceived notions of what good neo-modernism looks like to create us a quality streetscape here, I am going to be very disappointed with aA.

I really do feel we should be simulating a varied group of storefronts/facades along this long, monolithic podium.

^Minus the tacky signs, the existing building is precisely how you describe the aA proposal: "monolithic."

I just wish the podium architecture would extend to the towers. Ditch those balconies, insert some of this podium-style glass and cladding and we've got an improved situation.

Not sterile at all, and way more sidewalk space.

Remember to look past the shininess and the render-trees and render-people.

Imagine walking past that unvaried wall of glass along the sidewalk.

Does this ground level really look vibrant and engaging to you?

This is basically the same glass wall that is going into almost all new condos. We are not getting attractive store fronts. We are just getting the bare minimum in terms of any design or style. If we keep this up, soon you won't be able to tell what street you are walking on because they will all be completely bland and all look the same. Check out the condos that already use this wall of glass, for retail outlets and tell me if you feel engaged or amused, when walking by? Again, we have developers doing what all the other developers are doing. This is NOT the way to create an interesting, creative, animated, diverse and beautiful city. (in fact, it's the exact opposite) God help us if this is what we will get up and down Yonge Street and all the other condo/retail corridors.

It just seems like Toronto is trying to rid itself of any charm it has.

Apologies to those innocents whose posts just got taken down as part of a clean up here, but I am not going to spend my whole night trying to pull the nuggets of pure gold out all the junk that was just dropped on this thread.

Quit it with the snide comments, the insults. Anyone wanting to continue in this thread had better be talking about the building, and that's it.

If I'm interpreting the rendering correctly, there are eight separate store fronts. I'm pleased to see that. I also love how the parking portion of the podium is cantilevered over the sides of the retail portion of the podium. I think this will look very cool in real life. It just needs a little colour.

^I agree. It looks like there are inset portions of the podium, which coupled with varied signage, may actually serve to create a varied streetscape. Additionally I really like that cantilever, and the podium portion is clean 1960s style Modernism.

UD is also spot on in this case. It's something I brought up in another thread, how I wish architects would extend visual cues from the podium to the tower. As it stands so many towers show no relation, and it's as if you could drag and drop any number of them onto different podiums.

Beautiful. Some channeled glass or perhaps a variety of different surface treatments would work really well here. Ramako's call for colour is right on the mark too.

Back