Toronto TCHC Block 32 Development | ?m | 41s | TCHC | KPMB

This is one building that uses grey spandrel and still manages to look great. It's the white cladding that overpowers the grey and gives this building style.
[video=youtube;aIjCvCnjPsM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIjCvCnjPsM[/video]

Last edited:
Unfortunately it still retains that Cityplace feeling that I despise... D:
It's a shame too. I would appreciate this tower a lot more if it had been located somewhere else.

to me it's that grey-blue glass facade effect that's ubiquitous throughout Cityplace. (it's the west side that irks me)
However I do admit that this is definitely a step up from towers like Parade and HVE, thanks to those white bars

26 Feb 2012

092lv.jpg

That view is excellent. Thanks for capturing it, UD. It's dominating by urbane New Modernism, both in midrise form on side streets and a new landmark tower that's nicely detailed. I didn't know that the Canada Malting Plant silos terminate views on Portland Street. It thus makes for an interesting view in general, but also in the context of that streetscape because concrete silos were inspiration for Le Corbusier, so you have a connection to the interesting New Modernist buildings in view.

What I find to be likable and significant about this tower is that it's a CityPlace project that actually has an interesting north facade. CityPlace towers generally lack architectural features on their north facades, presenting only the blandest grey glass facades as if no one was supposed to see the buildings from that side, even though many people will in fact see the buildings from the north. Concord should address this issue in their upcoming final projects.

Last edited:
What I find to be likable and significant about this tower is that it's a CityPlace project that actually has an interesting north facade. CityPlace towers generally lack architectural features on their north facades, presenting only the blandest grey glass facades as if no one was supposed to see the buildings from that side, even though many people will in fact see the buildings from the north. Concord should address this issue in their upcoming final projects.

This is a great point!

Also, everyone check out the article about this project on the main UrbanToronto page. Some awesome family-friendly ideas at work in this project.

I generally don't like wallpapering patterns on buildings, but I really like this.
It looks really sharp, and I totally agree with Torontovibe, KPMB smartly used gray (and white) spandrel panels to their advantage, not as an afterthought like on most condo buildings.
It's my favorite building at CityPlace.

I just finished reading the feature article on this project on the home page and I am curious about this statement:

"Says Kyle Rooks of Toronto Community Housing: "The development will have 427 units of affordable rental housing. That's a new kind of rental that means the average rent in the building will be 80% of the CMHC average. For example, if the average cost of a 1-bedroom rental is $1,000, the rent for 1-bedroom units in this building would average $800 and could not exceed $1,000."

What are the ACTUAL rents that TCHC will be asking for these units :confused:

What is included in the rents :confused: Is heating / cooling and electricity included in the rent :confused:

A one-bedroom in a comparable Cityplace building would cost much more than $1,000 a month (and would not have the massive kitchens shown in the photos) so I am curious what are the actual rents.:confused:

What will be the rent on the 5 bedroom apartments :confused: How big are these 5 bedroom apartments in terms of square feet :confused:

The article suggests this is some new kind of affordable housing with rental rates 20% less than average. Does this mean that the units are neither "market" or "geared to income" units :confused:

What are the eligibility requirements for this housing :confused:

The article indicates that waiting lists will not be used to determine eligibility - if not waiting lists what criteria will be used to determine eligibility :confused:

Can just anyone, regardless of income, apply to live in these brand new over-sized apartments with condo-like amenities :confused:

Why not give those low-income and disabled Canadians who have been on a 10 year waiting list for affordable housing first crack at these beautiful spanking new bargain priced apartments :confused:

This project raises a lot of serious questions!

Last edited:
From http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2002/agendas/council/cc020416/plt4rpt/cl005.pdf (p. 8) - note this is from 2002

(ii) “Low-rent units” which are not geared-to-income (non-RGI):
In these units, rents are less than 80 percent of average market rent but not RGI. These are a new part of the affordable housing system, created by the strategy of relying on capital subsidy.
For “low-rent units”, the tenants selected must come from the Housing Connections waiting list and/or from waiting lists of recognized agencies such as housing help centres (with similar “hard-to-house” and referral exceptions as in RGI). Specific access requirements will be established for particular types of projects and set out in the agreements.

AoD

Back