Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Interesting.....on page one of that link, there is a rendering of a 100 story building slated for 2015 for Toronto named "Toronto World Commerce Tower"

and another called "Three4one" at 114 stories slated for 2014.

Am I the only one not aware of these? or are they fiction?

Click here for the link.

all the buildings in question say "fantasy" in the description

Here y'are. Massing, placement, shape, details are all guesses - with some cues from the drawing by Koops65.
The heights are accurate though.
239m = 786 feet
150m = 492 feet

The pictorial look of the floor plates in the model is not perfectly accurate - it's more for pictorial purposes. But it gives an idea of texture.
The ICE model and the Maple Leaf Square model are by Wyliepoon from the Sketchup model database.

h901.jpg

h903.jpg

h904.jpg

h902.jpg

h905.jpg

h906.jpg

h907.jpg

h908.jpg

Last edited:
Great job. After reading the comment above about so many twin/sibling towers, that's all I notice now. It's starting to look like a taller Mississauga on the waterfront. Even buildings without siblings have similar buildings next to them, like PWC and Telus. Most of the buildings have been around for a while obviously, but with all these new projects it stands out a lot more. Say what you will about the Toronto Star building, but it's one of the few down there that stands on its own without a sibling.

Those images put this project in perspective!

I'm not really one for obsessing over tower heights and issues surrounding the skyline but those images raise an interesting question about view corridors, the most important of which being the view from the lake of the central downtown skyline. A classic postcard perspective for decades now this project will change that view once and for all. Good or bad? In the end it will very much depend on the architecture we get... and given the underwhelming glass-itecture in the vicinity I'm more than a little concerned!

Great job. After reading the comment above about so many twin/sibling towers, that's all I notice now. It's starting to look like a taller Mississauga on the waterfront. Even buildings without siblings have similar buildings next to them, like PWC and Telus. Most of the buildings have been around for a while obviously, but with all these new projects it stands out a lot more. Say what you will about the Toronto Star building, but it's one of the few down there that stands on its own without a sibling.

Just how do I say this? You're not alone. I wonder why things have to be twinned so much these days. This site begs for something truly unique. I am avoiding the use of the word "iconic" because I'm getting fed up with it.

At the end of the day, the developer, Menkes, will either be a hero for innovation on this site, or they'll be wearing horns. I think Menkes is in for a rough ride from all of us on the forum if they slave to the tried-and-true. They are probably aware of what an opportunity this site is for Toronto.

From an architectural standpoint, I adore the tapering in CN's latest mock renders, twinning aside.

A classic postcard perspective for decades now this project will change that view once and for all.

I dont know about that, this project is just only one of many more to come for Southcore...120 Harbour, 45 Bay, 1 Yonge, 30 Bay/60 Harbour, and even the Signature Tower (if you want to go a bit west) are all expected to be over 200 meters in height and will most likely change the view from the lake of the central downtown skyline forever. "Its just a sign of the times"
Being the gateway to the city.... we'll just have to trust the city to demand more interesting designs/materials from the developers.

Wow, great sketchups, CN! I especially love the neo-Deco look of the one render.. Wish developers would throw in some cash and do something like that (NOT Uptown).

I agree with the twinning discussion, one of the reasons the original WTC was so iconic (other than the fact they were massive) is because they were the only twin towers in the area. Overdo it, and it just doesn't look that special anymore.

Also, would the residents of Ice and 90 Harbour be able to see into the Skydome when the roof is open? I remember being able to see the lanterns of MLS when I was at a Jays game earlier this summer.

Originally posted by Automation Gallery
I dont know about that, this project is just only one of many more to come for Southcore...120 Harbour, 45 Bay, 1 Yonge, 30 Bay/60 Harbour, and even the Signature Tower (if you want to go a bit west) are all expected to be over 200 meters in height and will most likely change the view from the lake of the central downtown skyline forever. "Its just a sign of the times"
Don't forget 43 Simcoe and 156 Front, north of the tracks but directly behind the new Delta Hotel from the usual Island viewpoint. They are a bit further away, but sufficiently tall (234m, 222m) that they would still tower over the Delta Hotel (160m) and the Bremner Tower office building (135m)

Last edited:
Don't forget 43 Simcoe and 156 Front, north of the tracks but directly behind the new Delta Hotel from the usual Island viewpoint. They are a bit further away, but sufficiently tall (234m, 222m) that they would still tower over the Delta Hotel (160m) and the Bremner Tower office building (135m)

Yeah, potentialy 12 future 200+ meter and 12 future 130+meter office/condo structures will be built in that vicinity, they will all change the view of the CBD.....
Dont forget what can still be built at the rear of the Toronto Convention Centre (Front street), and rear/ partial over-top of the Dominion Public Building (Front street), not to mention that BCE-3 (Front street) can develop with no height limits.

Are they ever going to develop the waste of space on the NE corner of Front/Yonge?

Not saying it's a bad building.. but it definitely should be taller for its location.

Being the gateway to the city.... we'll just have to trust the city to demand more interesting designs/materials from the developers.

Absolutely. Those renderings just hit it home for me! The powers-that-be behind the new 'Southcore' cluster just don't seem as concerned with their legacy on the skyline as those were behind the original CBD... and the southcore gang have had carte blanche!

The Southcore Area:

southcorearea-1.jpg

The reddish plots are currently active in construction.
The bright green ones are plotted or discussed projects.
The bright yellow ones are potential sites that would be great to see get some love and care.
The light blue ones are either for sale or being put to rest
The dark blue ones are in stasis.

Last edited:
Nice breakdown of Southcore CN...that lot just south of the Rogers Centre originally planned for TCHC living is now being sold to the private sector, the lot further south at Queens Quay owned by the city and originally planned for a park, will most likely meet the same fate.
Wont be long before the view from the waterfront of the Rogers Centre will be history.

Back