Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

The rendering programs (and google earth) 'force' perspective a bit. So in some shots the buildings look enormously tall compared to their surroundings, and others they look closer to height to how they might look in real life. Generally, distance shots are less 'dramatic' and more truthful than the close up ones.

1 office building and 2 residential buildings Office building - 31 stories. 2 residential buildings - 70 stories - 1426 dwelling units.

This is not entirely clear re: 2x70

The rendering programs (and google earth) 'force' perspective a bit. So in some shots the buildings look enormously tall compared to their surroundings, and others they look closer to height to how they might look in real life. Generally, distance shots are less 'dramatic' and more truthful than the close up ones.

Thanks for the input, CN.

The City wants point towers. With 1426 units spread out over 140 storeys, that's about 10 units per floor. You certainly would not get 20 units per floor in a point tower.

Remember: at this point all of this is preliminary! No final decisions have been made.

I think that CanadianNational made the right call by sticking the office building on the east end of the site---that lines it up nicely for the PATH connection between ACC and Waterpark, and puts it that much closer to Union Station for office proximity.

Have to say, a little disappointed with the fact we're getting our third set of similarish-sized twins in that neck of the woods after MLS and Ice... getting a little repetitive, IMO. I wonder how the economics of building and selling 2x70s compares to, say, 55s+85s?

Last edited:
They were painting the lines on Toronto's newest parking lot today.

90harbouro23.jpg

Well that's something the city hasn't seen before, a historic(esque) building being demolished to be replaced by a parking lot.. Oh wait.

I know it's only temporary, and 90 Harbour wasn't exactly the Beard Building, but still.

Is there no By-Law in place where one cannot make profits off a parking lot if they tore down a structure to create it?

A parking lot was what I expected. While the office building could be started immediately (once the plans are completed and all permissions have been obtained), the two residential towers will have to be mostly sold before excavation can reasonably be expected to begin. Call it at least two years as a parking lot before shoring starts, maybe three years. Of course, if the place sells out in three weeks once it is opened for sale, things might happen more quickly.

^ this is how it will likely sit for the next two or three years depending on how the the approval process takes and the state of the market when that is done.

Back