Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Nice breakdown of Southcore CN...that lot just south of the Rogers Centre originally planned for TCHC living is now being sold to the private sector, the lot further south at Queens Quay owned by the city and originally planned for a park, will most likely meet the same fate.
Wont be long before the view from the waterfront of the Rogers Centre will be history.

They need to preserve that iconic waterfront view of Skydome. A building just all enough to fully block out the Gardiner, say about 3 or 4 stories, would be ideal.

They need to preserve that iconic waterfront view of Skydome. A building just all enough to fully block out the Gardiner, say about 3 or 4 stories, would be ideal.

Skydome will get blocked. The city won't sell the land for cheap. It will be a pretty hefty price tag. The builder won't build short, they're going to lose money. They will build tall. Having a restriction of gardiner height will have the land sitting as a parking lot for the rest of it's life.

The Skydome or Rogers Centre is definitely the kind of landmark worth seeing from afar and from the waterfront. If a tall building is proposed on the site blocking views, there are still a number of architectural strategies available for preserving views. The city should make it a priority to ensure that substantial views are preserved. Of course, the architecture itself will have to be strong given how prominent a high-rise at this location will be on the classical postcard view from the lake and islands.

IF the view of the Skydome is that essential to the integrity of the waterfront skyline image, then I would say so are the views from within it. What I mean is blow an entire hole in the side of the Skydome, opening it up to the lake more and all levels and right into the stadium proper.

Otherwise, I see no need in preserving the view of the Skydome. Yes, its an architectural feat, and I have my love/hate moments with it, but in honesty I could care less if it was buried under 2o towers and by that same token, neither should the patrons of the dome care - they are/will be ringed by skyline..nice!

I'd like to see those two plots of land in front of the Skydome turned to a mixed-use structure whose main function would be to act as a land-bridge park over the Gardiner expressway. It would allow a wonderful place to relax and view the harbour from (as there are no raised ground areas to permit scenic observation). It would allow people to hike right over the Gardiner, and could be a tourist attraction in it's own right.

Within it would be room for plenty of parking. Massive clubs, theatres, restaurants, retail and mixed uses could all be contained within it's quite large size. It could hold the John Street Pumping Station, basically untouched. Heck, it's so big it could be used to store salt and snowplows as well.

It would give an entertainment complex to a part of Queen's Quay that could use it, and take care of the question of what to do with the empty parking lot on the north side of Queen's Quay. It would give enjoyable and adventuresome access from the water to the skydome and back. It could give amenities to the south side of Bremner in front of the dome. Trees, small plazas, steps, plateaus and pavilions could be atop it. It would preserve the view into the city, and do so in a novel and pleasing way.

landbridge7.jpg

landbridge4.jpg

landbridge1.jpg

landbridge3.jpg

landbridge5.jpg

landbridge6.jpg

Great views from the top.
landbridge2.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with AG, that is some vision, CanadianNational ! Imagine the stroll from the waterfront to the Centre precinct, and eventually all the way up to the AGO. That's the kind of experience Toronto lacks, but you've shown the possibility with your amazing sketches.

This is a really cool idea CanadianNational.

As a possible extension - it would also be interesting to take the same idea and apply it to the stretch of the downtown railway lands by making a type of rolling hill land bridge and park.

Doing this would make the waterfront more accessible from parts of downtown and it would also create a visually interesting separation between the buildings north and south of the railway lands similar to what rivers do in some other major cities (eg.Chicago).

An obvious challenge would be the expense since you can bet that CN would likely try to gouge the city for the air rights over the land.

Nice idea. Much more worthy of discussion than the park on top of Gardiner idea. Since building this would require closure of the Gardiner, might it be better to lower the highway and lakeshore for a section and build a smaller mountain on top? Or, why not lower lakeshore only and then create a land bridge across with the Gardiner remaining above ( during construction, lakeshore traffic could be redirected to the Gardiner or Queens quay). This would provide the north-south green corridor from the sky dome to waterfront with much less cost. Toronto needs a wealthy civic benefactor to offer to buy the properties with such a grand vision in mind.

Thanks, guys, I'm glad you like it.
Well, I think that something like this might actually be able to be built without closing the Gardiner entirely, and without altering it or Lakeshore Boulevard at all. I think that would be part of it's feasibility and attractiveness. If we were going to bury part of the Gardiner here, along with Lakeshore, I'd say just deck right over them, put a park on top and not bother with the attempt to put up something like complicated like this at all. Standing in front of the dome now, looking towards the lake, it's a natural 'inlet' between the lake and city. Just crying out to be joined, IMO. A flat park from the front door of the dome to the HTO and the lake would be best. But since no-one would touch the Gardiner here, I think something like this would be an intriguing, non-invasive solution. Besides - Toronto's starved for curves and hills, and this gives a little pleasure of both.

My drawing here is rather high and bulky - but the structure could be a lot more low-rise and gentle looking than this. I think it'd be a great place to sit on the slopes as they taper down to the streets, and people watch.

Last edited:
It's a good idea. It's just not feasible monetary wise. I doubt there would be a huge donation given to the city by a rich conglomerate. The city is starved for money so they're selling land left right and centre. The logical step is selling the land for a high price to developers to build condos in the end. The reality is what people isn't what they'll get.

It's a good idea. It's just not feasible monetary wise. I doubt there would be a huge donation given to the city by a rich conglomerate. The city is starved for money so they're selling land left right and centre. The logical step is selling the land for a high price to developers to build condos in the end. The reality is what people isn't what they'll get.

Could it potentially be an extension of the Metro Convention Centre?

Could it potentially be an extension of the Metro Convention Centre?

It's not related to the convention center. The parking lots are south of Skydome. South of Convention Center is Round house. South of Round house are buildings. The path doesn't connect to the area either. The path stops at CN Tower. It might connect to the aquarium though.

If you mean building another convention center on the parking lots. It might not be feasible. A short building can't generate enough profits. The land isn't cheap. If it's anything like the other south core parking spaces, 2.5-3 acres seems to be worth about 75M.

Can we have CN designing the downtown?

Seriously the only drawback from any one of CN's drawings is funding, which knowing this city would be funded then cut for no apparent reason.

Back