Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

I'm not against what you are saying, I partially disagree. The T.P.A said to them selfs, "if were going to sell the majority of the land at the site, and the heritage building we are currently in costs us tonnes of money on taxes because this place is heritage, why don't we throw it in as a bonus (small price) to the developer and go somewhere else in the area and not pay as much tax?? It will save us LOTS of MONEY." They (T.P.A) are planning ahead of the game, so that the developer thinks "WOW, what a good DEAL!! " , and when they look at the numbers, they discover that this place will drain their pockets, and they got fooled by the T.P.A. Even if Menkes or Oxford tries to do some "investment" in the place, that STILL won't cover the great cost of tax the city asks. They even don't work with investments, they work with developments (No Experience). The only thing this building will be good for the developer is that it will be an excellent sales office. The second they sell their last condo or office, they will immediately post the building for sale for a low price to get rid of it!

Last edited:
I think this Thread should be renamed "Redevelopment of 60 & 90 Harbour St." or just something that includes 60 Harbour, as its now part of the redevelopment of the block.

We will wait for the official announcement. Thanks, though!

`
90harbours20.jpg

if harbour building is included... who's to say it doesnt get enclosed in glass much like that one building on front is....

As Automation Gallery suggested, 60 Harbour should be moved to a more high profile location. It's a beautiful bldg and in it's present location it's kind of hidden. Maybe they could move it to the corner of the property at Bay & Harbour and orient it southeast or east.

As Automation Gallery suggested, 60 Harbour should be moved to a more high profile location. It's a beautiful bldg and in it's present location it's kind of hidden. Maybe they could move it to the corner of the property at Bay & Harbour and orient it southeast or east.

That is an excellent idea, but don't forget "Moving It" is one of the Conditions the T.P.A has set, so that's a no go. But even if they were allowed to move it,
its a really CRITICAL process, must be done carefully because this building is a heritage building, which means its really special and sensitive.

Last edited:
I was thinking (and hoping) that when they develop the land they sort of use the heritage building the way the MarS project has used the old buildings fronting College. That is one of the best uses of old and new that I have seen in recent memory imo. The original structures weren't augmented or changed too much, and you still have the newer office buildings in the back. Looks quite nice.

I'm all for moving 60 Harbour too. Let the building live on and flourish elsewhere rather than being swallowed up and engulfed by some huge development. It would be nice to see it back on the waterfront as it was built to be.

If they have just bought the second portion… they won't make any announcement until they are good and ready. Developments like this are highly complex, so be prepared to wait quite a while. We are likely to see an application to amend the zoning bylaw to allow them to do whatever it is they intend to do before we get anything else.

If they have just bought the second portion… they won't make any announcement until they are good and ready. Developments like this are highly complex, so be prepared to wait quite a while. We are likely to see an application to amend the zoning bylaw to allow them to do whatever it is they intend to do before we get anything else.

Your Right, I didn't really think about that. How long does the Zoning By-Law application take? What is going on right NOW at 90 Harbour St.? Is it Vacant Land?

Back