Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 1) | 231m | 70s | Menkes | a—A

I will stick this slightly tangential post here...........

That Farm Boy is almost certainly losing a lot of $$

I am told the shrink level is nuts (shrink is any inventory unavailable for sale, which can be theft or in this case, perishable product turning/expiring before it can be sold.)

Its overall a good location, and as occupancies pick up here it should do quite well, but I think they were a few months early in opening. That in combination with a near invisible entrance off Cooper Street, and no at-grade presence, is hurting them. While Loblaws just to the east draws well, its a store you can't miss, and it has obvious, ample, free parking encouraging people to come from a distance, where anyone not local probably has little idea that Farm Boy is even there.
Do you have any intel on the Farm Boy at Kipling station? That one also has no at-grade presence and lacks a parking lot. I'm wondering how well/not well it's doing...

Do you have any intel on the Farm Boy at Kipling station? That one also has no at-grade presence and lacks a parking lot. I'm wondering how well/not well it's doing...

I haven't been to that one yet, nor have I asked about, I shall endeavour to correct that.

I will stick this slightly tangential post here...........

That Farm Boy is almost certainly losing a lot of $$

I am told the shrink level is nuts (shrink is any inventory unavailable for sale, which can be theft or in this case, perishable product turning/expiring before it can be sold.)

Its overall a good location, and as occupancies pick up here it should do quite well, but I think they were a few months early in opening. That in combination with a near invisible entrance off Cooper Street, and no at-grade presence, is hurting them. While Loblaws just to the east draws well, its a store you can't miss, and it has obvious, ample, free parking encouraging people to come from a distance, where anyone not local probably has little idea that Farm Boy is even there.
It certainly is a VERY empty store and one of the only grocery stores I have ever visited where staff seem to wander around talking to customers and suggesting purchases! Last week they had one cash open and when I went to it there was one person with a small purchase ahead of me - another staff member rushed over and immediately opened a second cash just to save me 30 seconds.

The one in Litho does quite well. It's always busy when I've been there. It does have free parking in the basement though and fronts right on Dupont.

It's certainly not busy right now, but there will be 1000 people living in the towers pretty soon. And with the "innovation centre" and the new GBC building nearby, I assume its prospects are a lot brighter than they are today.

A shame they won't build transit to the area...

Taken today, May 10th, 2023:

IMG_7944 2.jpg
IMG_7947 2.jpg

It's certainly not busy right now, but there will be 1000 people living in the towers pretty soon. And with the "innovation centre" and the new GBC building nearby, I assume its prospects are a lot brighter than they are today.

A shame they won't build transit to the area...
Phase 1 here alone will have close to 2,000 people living in it.

Ultimately there still aren’t a ton of people living down here - once phase 1 of both One Yonge and Sugar Wharf are completed the population will approximately double.

Back