Toronto Stockyards District Residences | 35.5m | 10s | Marlin Spring | Graziani + Corazza

Today. Super-long view from downtown. Note Pearson Airport control tower in the background :)

IMG_0781.JPG

Only Marlin Spring would find a way to make this look horrifyingly cheap. I dont even have words for this one.

Funny enough, it's probably their best build to date simply because there's precast brick.

It's turning out to have a lot of character with the sharp red brick panels, the black-framed windows, and the many setbacks. Setbacks are too rarely used in contemporary design for visual interest. The east-facing white spandrel panels are unfortunate, but the facade facing St. Clair has few spandrel panels so far.

It's turning out to have a lot of character with the sharp red brick panels, the black-framed windows, and the many setbacks. Setbacks are too rarely used in contemporary design for visual interest. The east-facing white spandrel panels are unfortunate, but the facade facing St. Clair has few spandrel panels so far.

I actually quite like it. Yes, the light coloured spandrel is awful, but fortunately, the eye is drawn to the brick. I think it does a lot for the area, and helps set the context for the future developments that will inevitably come to this part of St. Clair.

I didn't have high hopes for this one, and my impression is people around her seem to regard Marlin Spring badly (I haven't followed which are their other past projects closely) but this seems surprisingly alright and solid. It's a bit clunky, but also at the same time the amount of precast masonry adding warmth is nice and windows look pretty crisp with the spandrel areas not being as offensive and scattershot as they are on many developments. The white and light grey panels somehow don't bother me as much here. It's still not the best building in the world but pretty solid as a background building.

It's fine. Just get rid of the window transoms and it's decent filler. Unless there's something wonky occurring behind the scenes or under the skin, the exterior at least looks passable to me.

The combination of Marlin Spring and G+C, along with the style of building being built could give a glimpse of what to expect in terms of results for the House of Assembly condo project.

The combination of Marlin Spring and G+C, along with the style of building being built could give a glimpse of what to expect in terms of results for the House of Assembly condo project.

That one is sure to be an abomination, and is going to ruin an otherwise amazing neighborhood development. I dont know why Hines sold part of it to this joke of a developer.

Absolute horrorshow garbage. We know how bad MS and G+C are on their own, but put them together it's really pretty staggering.
I mean.. the whole look is a nice matte black window frame on red brick. Not hard to do, even on the cheap, just pick the right colours.. But nope, gotta throw some white spandrel in there to confuse people and change the matte black to matte dark-grey just to make it worse!

They managed to pull off an attractive sales centre.. why it's so difficult to do that with the actual building is a mystery.

Back