Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

It looks great from every other side but what the hell were they thinking with the east-facing side? And since it faces Yonge a lot of people are going to see it.

Actually, a lot of people aren't going to see it because it'll be largely blocked from view by other towers. I suppose it is no worse than Speed Stick, that other pretentious bore of a building at Yonge and King, though a sad way for Zeidler to wind down his illustrious career no matter how gleefully the "quality finishes" crowd try to spin this as a building of some design import.

^^^ more vitriol from the "if its not square its bad" crowd. I can envision US's ideal city scape... perfectly boring Boxville. personally I like this simply because it is green and pointy!

I think the concern with the east side lies strictly with the parking garage levels. not sure but it seems like those recessed / notched out squares are slowly getting filled in with faux windows. If that is continued to its logical conclusion then I think things should be fine.

I can envision US's ideal city scape... perfectly boring Boxville.

And I can envision yours - photoshopped into botoxed hyperreality.

Boxes only bore when they're done poorly - witness all those "Mies" buildings that were designed by pale imitators of Mies, compared to the handsomely proportioned boxes that he designed. And when buildings are judged on their design merits in that way, the handsome and non-rectilinear "Marilyn" towers ( for instance ) will shame an inelegant stack like the Trump tower no matter what colour it is or what it is clad in.

I gotta give it to you redroom... your shots are exceptionally EPIC!!!shots 13/13 are exceptional :D! I love how trump looks! And you really emphasized how much of a skinny rectangle it is! All the renders of trump never really touch on how rectangular the building is... (just the aerial tour)... to bad trump didn't supply us with any dead on east/west renders :(

Boxes are fine, so are circular buildings, diamond shaped,,,etc.. Whats wrong with a little variety people? We have I would say about 1000+ boxes, so a few different styles are MORE THAN WELCOME!!! Enough with just boxes.

Trump tower rising higher!
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1944.jpg

^ No

The building right now is at 30 floors. It's final floor count is around 60, so we have about 30 odd floors to go. And Trump Tower is to come up to a height of 282 m including the spire, which is taller than the Scotiabank tower, so it will be a LOT taller than the Bay Adelaide Centre!

Don't forget the upper level units will come with much higher floor to ceiling heights than what was seen in the parking levels for example.

Talk about a ruined view corridor. I loathe RoCP. Thanks for the pics, Darwin.

so long as Old City Hall is visible from the lake, i am happy. preserving corridors in this city (see Queen's Park, U of T, or any historical building) is unrealistic, however admirable from an aesthetic perspective. if anything, condos and office towers protruding from various vantage points is a testament to our density and growth as a city.

so long as Old City Hall is visible from the lake, i am happy. preserving corridors in this city (see Queen's Park, U of T, or any historical building) is unrealistic, however admirable from an aesthetic perspective. if anything, condos and office towers protruding from various vantage points is a testament to our density and growth as a city.

Plenty of cities have done it, and some developments in this city have managed to create new view corridors on a smaller scale. Why can't we build our city with greater sensitivity to our historical landmarks? Will it take a new urban reform movement to essentially halt development with severe height restrictions to wake us up?

Back