Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Insane pics by Sammo over at SSC:

4615509705_ab5915727a_b.jpg

4616124608_0cea72d0b9_b.jpg

the glass/everything looks awesome!

I know realize how much better the trump glass looks in the sunlight! it looks alot more classy!

Even BA looks amazing in these shots! I wish trump looked this awesome every day!

Um... I like Trump and all, but does anyone else see blocks of precast that aren't flush with the rest?

Um... I like Trump and all, but does anyone else see blocks of precast that aren't flush with the rest?

I'm not sure if it's the design plan, but when you see the building from certain angles, the slight misalignment of the cladding adds to the look of marble, as though the blocks were placed on-at-a-time, and therefore not entirely aligning. It's an interesting effect, lending to the "realism" of the cladding.

To be fair, we have had "Fake Realism" since we first became civilized and stopped living in caves. The giant windows of a Church Cathedral are a virtual version of sunlight streaming through a forest into a glade. Even the much beloved limestone-clad buildings of bygone eras, are only a facade of limestone over a steel structure underneath: Replicating the "Look" of a solid stone building. Sure it has been done with better materials and executed with better authenticity than Trump but everything man builds is trying to emulate something else in nature and therefore is inherently "Fake".

So here's to continuing the tradition!

This building looks surprising good in person. I particularly like the cladding details on the upper levels of glass (as can be seen in some of the recent pic, kind of) and the curved glass sections of the building just above the granite. I do not get the impression that this project is 'cheapening out' in any way.

To be fair, we have had "Fake Realism" since we first became civilized and stopped living in caves.

Fair enough. I just wasn't sure if that was intentional or shoddy work.

I get defensive of "fake historicism" -- people love the old buildings, but heaven forbid you want to build something that looks too historical. Fake historicism can be done right*.

*Does not apply if your name is Harry Stinson

having seen all the "ground-up" shots of trump (looking up), i can now say that trump is "officially" standing out as a skyscraper in the area... trump didn't seemed to look short for the longest time but now that we're half way up, its huge!.. wicked sweet! Generally speaking, Trump Toronto is the project i've been most waiting to see rise! Even since the early, early, renders came out, i was so excited to see a trump tower rise in toronto! (that looks half decent!) :D

Fair enough. I just wasn't sure if that was intentional or shoddy work.

I get defensive of "fake historicism" -- people love the old buildings, but heaven forbid you want to build something that looks too historical. Fake historicism can be done right*.

*Does not apply if your name is Harry Stinson

Not to be nit-picky, but 'fake historicism' is a bit of a redundancy. Historicism already refers to the interpretation/rehashing of past styles, and more disparagingly, faux knock-offs.

does anyboday know how many floors to go? is this building will be taller BAY Adelaide Centre?

The building right now is at 30 floors. It's final floor count is around 60, so we have about 30 odd floors to go. And Trump Tower is to come up to a height of 282 m including the spire, which is taller than the Scotiabank tower, so it will be a LOT taller than the Bay Adelaide Centre!

Back