Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

I don't think Trump buyers give a shit about the views or (sorry Harry.... "location, location, location!!!") the address.

They are either investors in the "bad hair" cult, or they are not. They see the building as a good investment or they don't.

Trump Chicago sold enough to start construction long ago. If the Donald's ridiculous TV exposure had devalued the brand, this wouldn't be rising above ground level.

I think Toronto's lower profile plus a clumsy sales team is the reason for the long wait. Nonetheless they've sold half the building and I doubt they will give up.

If Trump was such a smart businessman he'd have shown up to juice this one (regardless of the cost of his appearance fee). If this fails, he's devalued a bit.

Re: Trump

When it doesn't get built he can say that Toronto wasn't world class enough for this visionary concept, or that he was ahead of his time and we weren't ready for him yet. He can say all kinds of things and still come out a winner, with tons of free publicity going back for several years.

"I think Toronto's lower profile plus a clumsy sales team is the reason for the long wait"

I'm thinking the reason is that Torontonian's are cautious and smart, two things working against the Trump team.

With the video on the Trump website how could it be dead? I have to believe that if Stinson can sell 1 King West then Trump can sell Trump Toronto. How much more expensive can the land at Trump be as compared to 1 King that they can't adjust prices if they thought it required?

^ The building itself as well as the quality of the materials used in both the exterior and interior of the building will be much much more expensive in the Trump building.

I doubt we'll see much precast or questionable glass and so-so interiors in Trump. Everything will be expodentially more expensive.

I think it is important to note than many of the clients to this building are international buyers. I don't think the Trump name has any real influence on the markets outside of the US. Therefore, one has to question how the marketing team has gone about the business of selling to that community. I think the key would be to pitch Toronto more than the building itself.

Trump's name probably has more impact outside the U.S. than in it. Chinese investors are giving him billions to build a housing development in New York.

"I'm thinking the reason is that Torontonian's are cautious and smart, two things working against the Trump team."

Well I don't know that it's a matter of 'smart' or not necessarily, but I do think that Trump has misjudged Toronto where most of the really grand and/or tall buildings in the city are those of insurance companies and banking institutions, or publicly funded government and cultural institutions. There are exceptions to this surely, but I wonder if the sheer scale and bravado of Trump's brand of American free-enterprise hubris is fundamentally incongruous with social and market forces at play in staid ol' Hogtown?

This building is not being built by Trump. His name is simply being used on a licence basis and I remember someone involved in the project here stating that he has no equity position in the building at all.

That's pretty much how structures all his deals. The deal set-up for Toronto is not all that different from the ones he's done in Chicago and Vegas.

If we dont see anything by this december, I say the projects chances are less than 50% that it will get built.

I'd say we're at 60% now with every passing month knocking it down a further ten percent

I'd say that you two have a 5% chance of being right, and I only picked 5 because the % symbol is on the same key.

We don't know what the chances of this going up are. The information necessary to make an informed guess is being closely guarded - why assign numbers to the specualtion?

I think we need to keep in mind a few things:

1. This is by far the largest residential building in the country. Nothing like this has been done before. It is not like 1KW; it is a much bigger project.

2. There is more competition for luxury condo buyers now than when the building was first announced. Ritz, etc. With a limited market to choose from, this must have slowed things down considerably for Trump.

3. The location of this thing is a bit of an experiment. A Bay St. skyscraper that's not an office building? Don't know if Toronto is ready for that kind of transformation.

Regarding the location of Trump the Bay Adelaide project across the street is planning one condo tower plus they seem to expect the other office tower to be mixed use. Other residential projects are really only a block or two away from the site. It has always seemed to me to be one of the darker streets in the city and I can see that having some impact but with the building across the street under construction there might actually be more light on the site in the short term.

Back