Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Also read the Globe every day and had no idea who this woman was, or for that matter a detailed career history. I've met people (read: morons) who didn't know the name of our Prime Minister. Now that's ignorance.

But more relevant, I would guess those letters would be lit from behind. Might not look half back.

i am no "Kates" per se but i ate at Stock right after it opened and found the food to be quite good. anyhow just my two cents (no pun intended at the start of that first sentence btw).

Kates didn't trash the food. Actually, she pointed out that everything was solid, and a few things were immaculate. Her biggest gripe was how unimaginative the menu was, despite the constant overhyping by the Trump name, ambiance, and staff. Her second biggest gripe was the prices.

In other words, they're serving run-of-the-mill food while pretending to be something world-class.

Last edited:
Just a question....have u guys been inside trump Chicago and soho?? Well I have, and they're not all that guys.

"Let’s say Stock wasn’t on the 31st floor of the glitzy new Trump Hotel. Imagine, let’s say, that it’s a bistro on Yonge Street north of Lawrence. Would you go there? Would you even be interested in hearing about it?"

Not that I don't believe her about the quality of the food, but yes, I would in fact check out a place north of Lawrence, I find auberge to be decent and Im sure there are quite a few nice places north of Lawrence. Her review is almost as pretentious as the Donald and the Trump name. Perhaps its a clash of egos then...hmm

Just a question....have u guys been inside trump Chicago and soho?? Well I have, and they're not all that guys.

I have stayed and dined at Trump Chicago, It was perfection! To me it felt more like a high-end condo than a hotel. I dined at "Sixteen" out on the terrace, what an unbelievable view of Chicago skyline!!! I haven't been to Trump Toronto yet but going by Post review and people on here, you wont get much of a view at STOCK. What shame the restaurant wasn't like Canoe with wall of windows showcasing Toronto's architecture.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/02/restaurant-review-dining-with-the-donald-at-stock/

It strikes me as odd that the only part of Stock that has a view, which must be impressive, is the bar. The rest of the L-shaped room is windowless.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have stayed and dined at Trump Chicago, It was perfection! To me it felt more like a high-end condo than a hotel. I dined at "Sixteen" out on the terrace, what an unbelievable view of Chicago skyline!!! I haven't been to Trump Toronto yet but going by Post review and people on here, you wont get much of a view at STOCK. What shame the restaurant wasn't like Canoe with wall of windows showcasing Toronto's architecture.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/02/restaurant-review-dining-with-the-donald-at-stock/

U see I found the lobby of the Chicago trump very blah...walked around the resto, however did not eat....I was not wowed, maybe I should go back...stayed at trump soho and it was ok too. I guess what I'm trying to get at is what r we expecting from these places. Looks like trump Toronto has created an interior of a building aka lobby, lounge, resto, bar that does not exist in Toronto. It is grand. When we have extremely high expectations we r always disappointed. And btw the curtains r up because the patio is not ready it. Once it's ready, I'm sure they will open it up. The bar has great views though.

From the review,
Stock is a grand room with big pretensions:

... yet her central argument is that the restaurant isn't pretentious enough, not enough foams or culinary gimmicks presumably... but if she's travelled anywhere outside of Hogtown in her life she would understand that steak houses, and steak houses in expensive hotels no less are very expensive... and people tend to not want foams and silliness with their steaks when they're paying these prices.

She may not walk across the street to eat here but many people would, and a balanced review should strive for a little objectivity in a 'it's not my cup of tea at these prices but it will suit many just fine' kind of way.

From the review,

... yet her central argument is that the restaurant isn't pretentious enough, not enough foams or culinary gimmicks presumably... but if she's travelled anywhere outside of Hogtown in her life she would understand that steak houses, and steak houses in expensive hotels no less are very expensive... and people tend to not want foams and silliness with their steaks when they're paying these prices.

She may not walk across the street to eat here but many people would, and a balanced review should strive for a little objectivity in a 'it's not my cup of tea at these prices but it will suit many just fine' kind of way.

You really think Joanne Kates hasn't travelled outside Toronto much? With all the references to other places in her reviews I'd say she is a world-class eater without doubt. And steak house or not it does sound unimaginative. Shrimp Cocktail? Reminds me of HoJos in the 80s.

You really think Joanne Kates hasn't travelled outside Toronto much? With all the references to other places in her reviews I'd say she is a world-class eater without doubt. And steak house or not it does sound unimaginative. Shrimp Cocktail? Reminds me of HoJos in the 80s.

I dare say you'll find a shrimp cocktail on the menu of any high end steak house, and a caesar salad for that matter. Steak houses are pretty 'old school' for a reason. It's pretentious to go to one expecting a daring and cutting-edge foodie experience.

Back