Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Ans who's Kates????? What makes her a decor or food queen or 'connaisseur'??

Revealing our ignorance a little aren't we - along with some attitude? Joanne Kates is, and has been for many years, the restaurant critic for the Globe and Mail. Her family owns the Arowhon Pines resort in Algonquin Park, known among other things for the quality of its food...

As if not knowing who Joanne Kates is makes you ignorant? Cant anyone on this site simply inform without belittling? Everyones shit smells, and if it doesn't then you need to see your GP.

If someone asked who Ms. Kates is in a different manner, with fewer question marks and spelling mistakes, the tone of the answer would likely have been less belittling.

The review didn't make me want to run out and make a reservation, but it didn't sound atrocious either. Perhaps not as much of a spectacle as one would expect given the rest of the hotel's frippery.

In fairness, the hotel restaurants in the Ritz have also been reviewed as being somewhat bland. Toronto has a respectable foodie scene, and the five-star hotels just haven't started to compete yet

^^^
Generally it has been my experience that when one goes to a 4 or 5 star hotel, the food is quite good but not spectacular. It is almost always however on the expensive side if not massively over priced. Paying often for name/location vs. going to a recommended restaurant elsewhere which may be expensive but usually it is the food commanding the price more so than the name of the hotel dictating it.

^^^
Generally it has been my experience that when one goes to a 4 or 5 star hotel, the food is quite good but not spectacular. It is almost always however on the expensive side if not massively over priced. Paying often for name/location vs. going to a recommended restaurant elsewhere which may be expensive but usually it is the food commanding the price more so than the name of the hotel dictating it.

Some of of the top restaurants in NY, Chicago, Philly are located in hotels. Toronto unfortunately hasn't had a decent hotel restaurant since Truffles closed at the Four Seasons. I have a feeling the hotel dinging scene will all change with David Chow at Shangri-la and Daniel Boulud at the new Four Seasons. Trump Toronto missed the boat not getting Jean Georges or Gordon Ramsay.

^^^
I wonder if the NY, Chicago, and Philly experience you are talking about where superb chefs sought out by the hotel or vice versa; the chef setting up in these cities in hotels who happened to be excellend and resulted in the top quality restaurants. After all, we are talking about opening up an unprecedented number of "luxury" hotels" in the City in a very short time horizon.

If someone asked who Ms. Kates is in a different manner, with fewer question marks and spelling mistakes, the tone of the answer would likely have been less belittling.

Exactly. Joanne Kates has more than paid her dues. Restaurant critic for the Globe and Mail since 1975, and prior to that for Toronto Life and the Toronto Star. Working in, then managing the family business of Arowhon Pines. The original post to me comes across as arrogant and condescending and belittling of Joanne, as in what gave her the right to comment on such an esteemed restaurant as Stock. If the post had been of the nature: "I do not know who the Kates being referred to is, and why would they be considered as qualified for the Stock review?", my response would have been much different.

I find it hilarious when others here comment on the food scene in Toronto, particularly comparing it to American cities.

For anyone 'in the know' and by that I mean in the industry, Toronto has one of the most 'happening' food scenes in North America. Generally this isn't at the high end though, so it doesn't surprise me we aren't renowned for such restaurants

Exactly. Joanne Kates has more than paid her dues. Restaurant critic for the Globe and Mail since 1975, and prior to that for Toronto Life and the Toronto Star. Working in, then managing the family business of Arowhon Pines. The original post to me comes across as arrogant and condescending and belittling of Joanne, as in what gave her the right to comment on such an esteemed restaurant as Stock. If the post had been of the nature: "I do not know who the Kates being referred to is, and why would they be considered as qualified for the Stock review?", my response would have been much different.

i am no "Kates" per se but i ate at Stock right after it opened and found the food to be quite good. anyhow just my two cents (no pun intended at the start of that first sentence btw).

Letters being raised on Friday

trumpm03.jpg

Revealing our ignorance a little aren't we - along with some attitude? Joanne Kates is, and has been for many years, the restaurant critic for the Globe and Mail. Her family owns the Arowhon Pines resort in Algonquin Park, known among other things for the quality of its food...

Ur hilarious....I know how to spell thank u....I was being very sarcastic....decor is a questIon of taste...some of these critics have not even travelled around the world and experienced different foods...I have...and I can tell u Toronto has a great food scene....next time hold ur remarks for yourself....

No need to get catty ladies, we are here to discuss construction...

And excellent picture Androiduk! The letters seem to be a solid metal so im wondering if they will be externally lit as opposed to the standard lit from the inside signage

Never heard about this Kates person in my life. And I read the Globe and Mail nearly every day. That said, I don't think I've ever read a restaurant review in my life.

Guess that makes me ignorant by some people's standards eh?

Back