Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

This is what you get when you live downtown. In fact, you get a similar close-up neighbourly view in most suburban-tract houses, so it's hard to see why anyone would be complaining.

No one could have missed all the towers in the area.

I'm guessing that the people in these units will tend to be at work most of the day and will be returning home at an hour when most adjacent office buildings are empty.

This is what you get when you live downtown. In fact, you get a similar close-up neighbourly view in most suburban-tract houses, so it's hard to see why anyone would be complaining.

No one could have missed all the towers in the area.

On one hand we want manhattenization and then on the other hand we complain about close neighbors.

This is what you get when you live downtown.

No, it is not, unless by "downtown" you mean "core financial district" bound by Wellington, Richmond, Yonge and York.
95% of downtown high rise condos don't have monsters like Bay Adelaide center or Scotia Plaza 20 meters away. As it mentioned a few times, it was an unwise location for a presumably upscale hotel/condo.

What percentage of the suites have unblocked views? Ramada probably have a better view than that.

it was an unwise location for a presumably upscale hotel/condo.

Speaking as someone who looks out directly into another large building directly across a street, you'd be surprised how many people really don't mind. It's a reality of urban living that is accepted by many. It adds a kind of cosy vibrancy in a way. It's not for everyone though, I agree.

I tried to go on their website to book a room. Every date I put in gave me sorry no rooms available. I tried different months, different days. Don't tell me it's booked solid already, is it?

I just tried and it proceeds to booking on any day I chose. Perhaps a glitch when you were trying

A lot of people don't give two shits about the "view" from their condo, house, or hotel.

How many suburban homes have a view of anything besides another house across the street, or right behind them? Not that many.

You might think it's an unwise location for a hotel/condo, but you'd be wrong, as the business case for it has clearly been shown to be sound. People invested in Trump, and that is absolute confirmation of how wise they were in choosing this location. If it was an unwise choice, you wouldn't have seen any financial investments in the property, and Trump would have never happened.

Last edited:
I've lived on the second floor of a condo for more than a decade. Even though I have a decent view I rarely look out. Most people do not spend their time looking out the windows. I've been up the Trump Tower and 15 feet or 50 feet from Bay Adelaide the views are still killer. Who cares if you can't see Richmond Hill from the north side?

Living in Trump with northerly facing windows, you won't have much privacy unless you have all of your blinds drawn... You are literally looking 15 feet across the street, right into an office building full of people, and they're looking right back at you... I'm surprised that people even bought those units. The view is just the Bay/Adelaide Centre, nothing else... it's quite intense, no?

No, it is not, unless by "downtown" you mean "core financial district" bound by Wellington, Richmond, Yonge and York.
95% of downtown high rise condos don't have monsters like Bay Adelaide center or Scotia Plaza 20 meters away. As it mentioned a few times, it was an unwise location for a presumably upscale hotel/condo.

What percentage of the suites have unblocked views? Ramada probably have a better view than that.

Woah, looks like it suddenly sucks to work on the South side of the KPMG tower! Do the two buildings look directly into each other with like 15 feet between them?

I take it none of you have ever lived in the core of a city before. But this is how it is. Whether it's in Paris, London, NYC, San Fran, Vancouver, Chicago, Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc.

My cousins condos in downtown Athens, in buildings that are over 100 years old, are right next to each other and you can literally pass the salt to one another.

I'm the opposite, when I've moved or purchased I always searched out an apartment or condo that offered good views. I'm not crazy about the building that I currently live in (it's not bad, but not great either) but I do like my apartment plus I stay because I so enjoy the amazing views I have of the city and the lake of which I never grow tired of.

I agree that most people don't care about the view. I rarely ever look outside my windows. However, natural sunlight is important. It would be depressing if everyday felt like it was an overcast day because no direct sunlight hits my apartment.

Buildings constructed so close together in places like New York, London, Athens, Hong Kong (Kowloon city, anyone?) weren't planned that way, it just happened when you let developers do what they want. Why should we emulate that? Back then, developers didn't care about how a building impacts it's surroundings.

There is a reason why podiums and point towers are popular now.

You see, the upper third of the building I quite like. But this lower 2/3rds of so, or at least what I'm seeing in that picture, I find it cheap looking. But as usual I need to suspend judgement, as I've been wrong many times before a building is complete. Overall, I think Trump is a plus, so.

Back