Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

In its inherent a la mode clumsiness, it may be the Lord Simcoe of our time?

lord+Simcoe+Hotel.jpg

Today I got a private tour of Trump.:) The staff were very friendly--American-training perhaps?--and allowed me to wonder around without expecting me to spend a penny. Very refreshing. The interior is admittedly sort of cool--very baroque meets '80s Manhattan perhaps?--although very muted with beige and blacks that aren't my personal favourites. Also don't like the gold-style trim. A bit too bling for me maybe? I will say I'd hang out at Suits if I worked on Bay St--a good place to stare at the ladies and of course at the beauty across the street. They make you feel at home--they're used to dealing with the super rich such as myself....;)

Still, the best view of the exterior is from:

100tn.jpg

I think this hotel may be the best located of the 3--so close to money central. 4$ still is likely best overall but of the RC, SL and TT the location is naturally superior here.

Last edited:
Today I got a private tour of Trump.:) The staff were very friendly--American-training perhaps?--and allowed me to wonder around without expecting me to spend a penny.

Does walking around the street level and doing the bar constitute a private tour?

The biggest problem I have with Trump Tower is its location - as high as it is, you need to go to specific angles in order to even see this building, or a big part of it, from ground level. The best angel seems to from its north east. In most other direction, you hardly see it as it is wonderfully blocked.

What a shame. Stupid choice.

I kind of agree kkgg7. unfortunately various factors led to this problem. The very small footprint of Trump compared to its bank tower neighbours, the height reduction caused by the recession and the difficulty of adding more elevators all add up.

As for angles I kinda like the view looking east from the entertainment district, and i like the view looking north up the bay street canyon (despite trumps awkward setbacks from that angle)

What a shame. Stupid choice.

I highly doubt Trump and co. give two s***'s about it being blocked or our general opinion of the building, as those things are rather irrelevant to their clientele. All that counts is the money that this thing will be raking in.

I highly doubt Trump and co. give two s***'s about it being blocked or our general opinion of the building, as those things are rather irrelevant to their clientele. All that counts is the money that this thing will be raking in.
Sometimes the general cluelessness around here astounds me. The owners of Trump owned that lot, not another, so they built on that lot. That's how it works. I've seen comments here where people say that developers shouldn't build a certain building on a certain lot, but on another one a block or two away. Uh, do they even own that land? That's a big precondition that needs to be satisfied, as we operate in a free market, and not a planned economy.

As for Trump, they have the perfect location for the service that they're offering.

Last edited:
Sometimes the general cluelessness around here astounds me. The owners of Trump owned that lot, not another, so they built on that lot. That's how it works. I've seen comments here where people say that developers shouldn't build a certain building on a certain lot, but on another one a block or two away. Uh, do they even own that land? That's a big precondition that needs to be satisfied, as we operate in a free market, and not a planned economy.

As for Trump, they have the perfect location for the service that they're offering.

Thats the best thing written on here in ages. People say this all the time about Bloor Street: so and so doesn't bleong there, Stollery's should become a condo etc...

Toronto isn't Sim City where we can plunk down the buildings, or stores that you want. Very often there are very real reasons why the Trump Tower was built where it was, the L Tower was built where it was and why Stollery's is still open for business.

Businessmen don't often think about skyscraper fanatics and whether the skyline would look more "complete" if we edged a building over two blocks to the right...

Just to clarify, my comment was in response to the person that said this location was a "Stupid choice".

What I stated was that considering the location, its would have been obvious that Trump would be surrounded by from almost all sides (BAC, FCP, TD, CC & Scotia) from the beginning and that clearly such a thing was not a major concern to the developer.

Obviously making sure Trump Toronto fits in with everyone's perception of what the skyline should look like is not their primary concern - that was my only point. Its only skyscraper geeks like us here that are deeply concerned about the massing and sightlines of different skyscrapers in the city.

I agree entirely that the developer would be happy with the location they selected and I can see why it makes perfect sense for them. And on a personal level with regards to the skyline, I like where Trump is.

Last edited:

Back