Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Now Pinkie and urbandreamer are the types i could have a beer with or enjoy a glass of wine/sherry. They know from junk.

Steveveveveve,you know i like you too but you're just too young -for drinkin with. (900 posts here steveve! not bad.;))

I tried to like this, because I was excited about the height, but I find myself drifting towards the dislike camp. I would've accepted a clone of Trump Chicago, why couldn't we have gotten something like that? Perhaps this is Trump's subtle attempt at insulting Toronto.

^so right on both counts. i shudder just remembering.

was this it?
media-3bcf6eecb2611212e088d0d91f2ade9c.jpg

although, this one doesn't even pretend, lol.

If the perceived unwashed masses on UT hated Trump, while the perceived sophisticates loved it, urbandreamer would be singing its praises. He's looking for status and attention. He wants to stand out and fit in, vis-à-vis the 'right' crowds of course. Let's help him out by continuing to respond to his hyperbole. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Other than height, it adds nothing new or exciting to Toronto architecturally.

1) Setbacks: No other tower over 500 feet has any significant setbacks (excluding Uptown and ROCP).

2) A spire: Only one other tower over 500 feet has a spire (Canada Trust)

Whether or not you like the design, Trump is a different style of architecture than what we're used to in Toronto, and indeed most of Canada. The big question is whether it will be able to fit in while standing out.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong here. I don't love or hate this tower (thus far) more than any other one going up around downtown.
But you people are dumping on it way too much. Whoever said that they'd settle for a copy of Trump Chicago at Bay & Adelaide has to take a look at just how small the lot Trump Toronto is being built on is in comparison to Trump Chicago's. I'd say it's no more than 60% of the size, in other words, entirely out of the question.
Though the materials could be better, I'm just happy with the fact that it isn't 100% glass like every other new tower is. Looks to me like the whole point of this tower is to look like it was always there to begin with, and that's just fine with me. Maybe it will dupe passersby into thinking that we didn't actually have a surface parking lot at a major corner of our financial district for so many years.

how appropriate was/is this corner for a hotel/residential tower -on this scale? it would have had a serious impact on the skyline had it been situated several blocks away -any direction.

i liken praise for 'dealing' with such a tight site to being impressed with the paramedic who rushes the injured patient to emergency after having run him down.
but i suppose it is a small feat in reinforced concrete pumping.

Last edited:
Now Pinkie and urbandreamer are the types i could have a beer with or enjoy a glass of wine/sherry. They know from junk.

Steveveveveve,you know i like you too but you're just too young -for drinkin with. (900 posts here steveve! not bad.;))

hahaha! :D:D I guess i'm over 900 posts now!

we all know Chicago's trump tower is amazing! But trumps buildings are never always the same for each city... chicago just got really lucky on theirs i guess. I couldn't have seen anything different than what we got, i personally think this was the best we could have gotten for the site considering all things. :D

I plan on going down to the site later today to see this new cladding for myself :D!

Maybe peoples opinions will change once trump toronto is complete... that seems like a big MAYBE right now lol!

First off--I'm loving the attention.:D

Second, I hate to fit in but I sometimes like to stand out.:)

Third: TT has nothing to do with the Donald other than marketing purposes. Rather, it is the reflection of a wealthy unsophisticated Russian newbie to the construction business. I get the feeling he (thought he) chose the cheapest design to build, and probably knows zippo about real Canadian architecture. He probably chose it to garner attention and to stand out--in a nouveau riche attempt at legitimacy (very typical Eastern European actually....) For all I know, TT may be just a Russian money-laundering exercise.

Spires are beautiful when done right; since the 30's, I haven't seen much evidence of them done right in NA.

I'd rather have seen a two storey aA building here than this ugly beast.

Last edited:

Back