Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Bids are in and coming to General Govt Committee next week. http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.GL4.7

Price is, not surprisingly, higher but Staff recommend: ..

City Council award a contract for Tender Call Number 319-2018 for the construction of the new St. Lawrence Market North Building to The Buttcon Limited/The Atlas Corporation Joint Venture in the amount of $91,800,000 net of all taxes ($93,415,680 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries), including all allowances, contingencies, and charges, being the lowest compliant bid in conformance with the Tender requirements.

Bids are in and coming to General Govt Committee next week. http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2019.GL4.7

Price is, not surprisingly, higher but Staff recommend: ..

City Council award a contract for Tender Call Number 319-2018 for the construction of the new St. Lawrence Market North Building to The Buttcon Limited/The Atlas Corporation Joint Venture in the amount of $91,800,000 net of all taxes ($93,415,680 net of Harmonized Sales Tax recoveries), including all allowances, contingencies, and charges, being the lowest compliant bid in conformance with the Tender requirements.

If they had went with Walsh they would still be under that:
Walsh Canada $88,032,746

AoD

If they had went with Walsh they would still be under that:
Walsh Canada $88,032,746

AoD
No, Walshe bid in THIS tender was WCC Construction Canada, ULC o/a Walsh Canada $98,609,506. (The $88 million bid was their 2018 one and they were more expensive than Bondfield. The City must accept the lowest conforming bid and that's why they went with Bondfield, unfortunately!)

No, Walshe bid in THIS tender was WCC Construction Canada, ULC o/a Walsh Canada $98,609,506. (The $88 million bid was their 2018 one and they were more expensive than Bondfield. The City must accept the lowest conforming bid and that's why they went with Bondfield, unfortunately!)

That's what I meant - if they had went with Walsh back in 2018, they'd still save a few mils compared to what they got now.

AoD

Reactions: DSC
Apparently some Councillors (the Etobicoke ones) are trying to stop the whole project!

I'd be ok with that. Cancel it, turn this into a square instead, and pedestrianize the portion of Front street that runs between the main market and this space so you can close it off an host larger outdoor markets. Then build city courts to the South of the main market building instead.

Does this qualify me to be a councillor in Etobicoke now?

Last edited:
Reactions: AJX
Apparently some Councillors (the Etobicoke ones) are trying to stop the whole project!

But why would we support the cultural institutions/tourist draws we already have when we could just gut them and try some new (to-be-determined) brilliant ideas out down at Ontario place?

I'd go with an indoor/outdoor hydrid here (assumes world class arcitecture lol). Revenue type builds on the east and west with atrium north south- good weather protection for farmer's market (open doors when possible) and almost good weather -acceptable days for events. Then roller skating ;-). P.S. cheaper.

I'd go with an indoor/outdoor hydrid here (assumes world class arcitecture lol). Revenue type builds on the east and west with atrium north south- good weather protection for farmer's market (open doors when possible) and almost good weather -acceptable days for events. Then roller skating ;-). P.S. cheaper.
Look at the plans, the 'windows' of the ground floor (Market) part will all open up allowing the vendors to 'spill out' onto Jarvis side (as previously) and also onto Market Lane Park.

Back