Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Just got an email from the City confirming the rumour I reported last week!

"The City remains committed to the redevelopment of the North St. Lawrence Market.

Following a competitive process, Government Management Committee granted authority to City staff to award a contract for the construction of the new North St. Lawrence Market to a general contractor. On August 7, 2018, the contract award for the North St. Lawrence Market Redevelopment was rescinded as the contractor was unable to meet the requirements of the City's tender process.

As a result, the City was required to cancel the previous construction tender process, and is now preparing to start a new process to award the contract.

We understand that this delay is frustrating for the community. This transformative project will result in significant benefits for the community and visitors. The City is currently exploring all options to minimize schedule impacts to this project.

Thank you for your continued patience,"

The City needs to adopt a second-lowest-bidder-wins system to stop rewarding companies that make unrealistically low bids which they cannot fulfill.

I couldnt agree more, this is becoming too much of a common occurrence. I wonder how many years of additional delay we're going to go through now.

Sorry for the blurriness - it was very windy at the time and I had trouble holding my phone steady.

Taken last Friday:

Market.jpeg

Attachments

• Market.jpeg
    Market.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 1,974
Bondfield is in rough shape for sure. I have heard they are being propped up by their insurance company so the whole thing doesn't collapse.

You can't have good friends when your office is shot at twice.

today. Interesting photos on the hoarding showing the market from 100 years ago. It matched the roofline of the other market and had a covered bridge the spanned Front street. It makes me wonder why they would tear that down and build the bunker that was there for the past 50 years.

20180920_133607-PANO.jpg
20180920_134059.jpg
20180920_134051.jpg

Attachments

• 20180920_133607-PANO.jpg
    20180920_133607-PANO.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 1,581
  • 20180920_134059.jpg
    20180920_134059.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 1,576
  • 20180920_134051.jpg
    20180920_134051.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 1,601
today. Interesting photos on the hoarding showing the market from 100 years ago. It matched the roofline of the other market and had a covered bridge the spanned Front street. It makes me wonder why they would tear that down and build the bunker that was there for the past 50 years.

The covered bit over Front Street was, apparently, removed in 1954 and I understand that the old version of the North Market was demolished in the late 1960s because it was actually unsafe. The market building that replaced it (and which was demolished a year or so ago) was undoubtedly seen as a great example of 'modern civic architecture' when it was first built. To our eyes it did not live up to this hope and it too was in poor condition when demolished.

Here we go again, I fear that all bids will be well over budget but we will see.

Tender - Prequalification
ecblank.gif
Call number: 3907-18-5083
Commodity:
Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:
Pre-qualification of General Contractors for Construction of the New Building, St. Lawrence Market North Building
For: Pre-qualification of General Contractors for Construction of the New Building,

St. Lawrence Market North Building Located at 92 Front Street East, Toronto.

Questions about this Request to Pre-qualify should be directed in writing to Michael Porcarelli at e-mail Mporcarelli.Porcarelli@toronto.ca. The last day for questions with respect to this Pre-qualification document is October 26, 2018.
Issue date: October 2, 2018
ecblank.gif
Closing date: November 8, 2018
at 12:00 Noon
Notes:
Attachment
pdf.gif
3907-18-5083 Notice of Intended Procurement.pdf (90 Kbytes) - Posted on 10/02/2018 02:28:14 PM
pdf.gif
3907-18-5083 Viewing Copy Only.pdf (968 Kbytes) - Posted on 10/02/2018 02:28:37 PM
The addenda and/or other files listed above are included with the Call Document purchase price but must be downloaded as separate documents. To view the document, click on its filename. To save it to your workstation, right-click on the document's filename,then select "Save Target As..." (or "Save Link As...").

Buyer: Porcarelli, Michael
ecblank.gif
Phone number: 416-338-5585
Email: Michael.Porcarelli@toronto.ca
ecblank.gif
Client Division: Facilities Design & Construction
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif
ecblank.gif

Non-refundable document fee:
$100.00 + 13.00 HST = $113.00

Something I wondered about with this project, was - if after winning his election and getting some breathing room over spending - if John Tory would sign off on the drain preservation.

Also - I miss the old concrete bunker of the North Market. It wasn't brilliant, but it had its charm.

Something I wondered about with this project, was - if after winning his election and getting some breathing room over spending - if John Tory would sign off on the drain preservation.

Also - I miss the old concrete bunker of the North Market. It wasn't brilliant, but it had its charm.
A section of the porcupine drain has been removed, is being conserved and will be on display in new building - below a section of glass floor as far as I know.

Tender call posted!

Commodity:Construction Services, Construction Services
Description:
Construction of the New Building St. Lawrence Market North Building Located at 92 Front Street East, Toronto.
BIDS ARE REQUESTED FOR: Construction of the New Building St. Lawrence Market North Building Located at 92 Front Street East, Toronto. (This call is for Pre-qualified Bidders only that pre-qualified from RFSQ 3907-18-5083.

Questions about this Tender should be directed in writing to Michael Porcarelli at e-mail Mporcarelli.Porcarelli@toronto.ca. The last day for questions with respect to this Tender is three (3) working days prior to closing.Issue date:December 19, 2018
ecblank.gif
Closing date:January 31, 2019
at 12:00 NoonNotes:
Viewing Copy
pdf.gif
319-2018 - Viewing Copy.pdf (2263 Kbytes) - Posted on 12/19/2018 04:21:05 PM
pdf.gif
Notice of Intended Procurement 319-2018.pdf (140 Kbytes) - Posted on 12/19/2018 04:21:12 PM

Back