St. Lawrence Condos at 158 Front | 91m | 26s | Cityzen | architectsAlliance

ChesterCopperpot

Member Bio
Reaction score

AHK

Member Bio
Reaction score
2. Fricton
With respect to the question # 2: what keeps the cable from pulling out? - The response 'Friction' may be technically correct, there is a bit more to it than that.

When the tie back drill has reached the desired depth, the size of the hole is enlarged, and when the cables are inserted, the hole at the end is filled with a grout, creating a form of plug within the earth. So yes, it is friction which prevents the plug, and the cables connected to it from pulling out, but there is a lot more 'grip' from the plug than just the friction on the bare cables themselves that would be provided.

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Staging platform looks finished. Phone shots from a minute ago:

20180727_143907.jpg
20180727_143917.jpg

Attachments

philip yates

Member Bio
Reaction score
Has anyone heard a realistic guess as to occupancy date? The excavation is well underway and the people at the construction website haven't responded. I asked late last year when they first started and they thought it would be late 2020

harry_fine

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm confused about the staging platform at the east end. It is not dug deep there like the rest of the site and the floor seems to be poured. Is that wastes space under the platform? And if so, why?

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
@harry_fine, the columns go deep into the ground, as far as the excavation will. They can continue to excavate below the deck, and no space all be wasted!

Yes, but why build the platform at all? Though they seem to be putting some equipment on top of it would it not have been easier/cheaper just to excavate the whole pit (as is usually done) and THEN start adding floors.? I realise the site has very little spare room but ….