Toronto St Lawrence Condos at 158 Front | 91.44m | 26s | Cityzen | a—A

IMG_5537.jpeg

I'm not an architect so sorry if I'm using the wrong terms. But the inset/punched windows in the podium and protruding grid of fins on the tower portion makes such a huge difference versus a flush facade. Without those elements it loses all its appeal.

Unfortunately the details that provide depth are almost always the first ones cut in value engineering.

The grade treatment is sorely lacking though. I really wish we could get our shit together where it matters most.

This is my opinion as well. The building looks pretty cool from afar, and the build quality seems decent, but walking past at ground level is disappointing. The wide sidewalk is much appreciated, but the seemingly endless wall of flat glass is dull and unwelcoming. I'm holding out faint hopes that once retail and the lobby finishes are in place there will be something to break up the expanse of sameness (plantings? awnings? signage? patios?) but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: fixed typo

Last edited:
Even just pulling the vertical brick elements down to the ground floor would have made a huge difference without taking away from the visibility into the retail units.

100% !

Cannot be said enough, of enough different developments. 100% glass at-grade is profoundly unappealing and a negative for retail success.

A building permit related to a retail unit in this building has finally appeared:
Application: Building Additions/Alterations
TORONTO ON M5A 1E5
Ward 13: Toronto Centre
Application#: 23 126256 BLD 00 BA
Accepted Date: Mar 23, 2023
Project: Retail Store
Work: Interior Alterations
Description: INTERIOR ALTERATION FOR RETAIL SPACE - PLUMBING SHOWROOM (UNIT 110)
By "plumbing showroom" I'm guessing it'll be another super-expensive European kitchen or bathroom place that nobody ever seems to enter or exit. Nice and quiet to live above, I guess, but not of much daily use to neighbourhood residents.

A building permit related to a retail unit in this building has finally appeared:

By "plumbing showroom" I'm guessing it'll be another super-expensive European kitchen or bathroom place that nobody ever seems to enter or exit. Nice and quiet to live above, I guess, but not of much daily use to neighbourhood residents.
pretty sure this is for the relocated store from king east, i believe it was called Aquavato

They are growing like wildfire. I can't say I've been that knocked out by them. What say others?
I agree that they are not impressive. The Pain Dore opened about 300 meters west a few months ago. They are, maybe, ok for coffee but really not good baking, I had a far too sweet chocolate croissant and a stale and rather tasteless hot cross bun there recently. I had high hopes, which were dashed, as I used to buy real bread from them in Montreal about 25 years ago.

I agree that they are not impressive. The Pain Dore opened about 300 meters west a few months ago. They are, maybe, ok for coffee but really not good baking, I had a far too sweet chocolate croissant and a stale and rather tasteless hot cross bun there recently. I had high hopes, which were dashed, as I used to buy real bread from them in Montreal about 25 years ago.
The unfortunate reality with Cobs is that, because every location makes everything fresh in-house, every location is going to have varying quality of product. My local Cobs is amazing every time, but I've noticed most of the staff are not only all a bit older than you typically find in a place like that (I'm talking like university graduates rather than teenagers, yes it makes a huge difference) and it's also mostly the same few people who've worked there for many years. You also have to go as early in the day as possible to get all the freshest stuff.

Back