News   Apr 24, 2024
 512     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 713     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 517     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

Look for Phase V EA this Year. That's Gunn's Loop to Jane To Kingsway to Queensway.

The EA was approved and funded by council in 2005

What we've heard before was that the ROW would continue until either Jane or Scarlett, turn south to Dundas, and run along (or more likely under) Dundas to Kipling station. How does the Queensway figure into this?

A glance at the road-width map in the official plan would suggest that continuing down St. Claire to Dundas is the way to go. Though the ROW drops from 30 metres to 27 metres west of Runnymede - though still wider than the 20 metres on most of Queen, King, Dundas, etc. But does the density west of Jane support it? I'm not all that familiar with that part of town, but basically that's the 30 Lambton route, which only has 3,000 riders - for a 9-km route!

Hmm, another thing jumps out on me, on the maps. The Queensway from Mississauga to the existing track would be an excellent corridor for dedicated streetcars, with the 30 to 36 metre width ... shame that the current bus only has 1,800 passengers - you wonder what kind of demand there would be, if there was a quick service to downtown.

There's also the fact that the Scarlett Road underpass beneath the CP tracks is being redesigned with private right-of-way pre-installed.

Any examples from cities that get over 1-metre of snow each winter, have plows running down the tracks, and all the salt?

I doubt salting tracks would provide much benefit. A track mounted plow is far more accurate than street plows which bounce around and have variable height. A track mounted plow could be placed almost exactly above the rail and could easily be made to include a fork to break ice on the inside surface of the rail. I'm pretty sure most rail systems do not salt.

A track mounted plow could be placed almost exactly above the rail and could easily be made to include a fork to break ice on the inside surface of the rail. I'm pretty sure most rail systems do not salt.
How does TTC deal with the Queensway tracks in the snow?

Snow should not be an issue here since the streetcars run 24hrs/day. The wheels themselves serve as the snow/ice breakers.
Most streetcar routes don't run 24/7. Only the 501 route has full 24/7 service (the 506 doesn't run all the way to High Park at night). And even then the frequency is only scheduled as once every 30 minutes overnight. Presumably with even a short service outage of a few hours, there is snow accumulation.

So how is it currently dealt with?

TTC use a small snow plow and sander on Spadina ROW.

First time I seen this and saw it on Wed.

It was odd since there was no snow, but salting the switch areas.

IMG_02-18-09-0001.jpg

Okay, meanwhile...back on the topic of the St.Clair ROW... They have finally started digging up the tracks between Vaughan and Wychwood. FINALLY!!!!

I noticed that rather in-your-face yesterday en route from the seed fair at Wychwood Barns...

Back