News   Jul 26, 2024
 809     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.7K     3 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

The buses absolutely did not come every 2 minutes. Living on St. Clair, I saw buses pass by every day, and while they did run more frequently, I once waited about 15 minutes.

Well during peak hours it certainly did, plus every other w/b bus short turned at Earlcourt Loop making my wait times very breif.

A comfortably crowded streetcar holds 60 people, with room for 40 more to spare. A bus is crowded at 40, and maxes out at maybe 65.

If buses run more frequently and quickly what does crowding really matter? Those 15 min intervals you eluded to are always a sure thing with streetcars, rarely with buses.

Wait until the rest of the ROW is complete. About 70% of the line still operates in mixed traffic which completely wrecks the schedule and posted frequencies

Why can't barriers be put up to annex the streetcar lanes from other traffic a la Spadina LRT? St Clair's a wide street, it could manage with two less lanes.

Why can't barriers be put up to annex the streetcar lanes from other traffic a la Spadina LRT? St Clair's a wide street, it could manage with two less lanes.
I agree. It was a waste of money to raise the entire ROW when curbs could have just as easily been used. Another problem I see is that with the centre poles, emergency vehicles can't drive as fast, if at all, in the ROW.

^ Alot of people preferred to get off at the Yonge stop instead of entering the station. It's more convenient if you work inside one of the office buildings not to add a min walking time if you're running late.
...but you are adding a minute of service dwell time to that streetcar route when the station is basically across the street. For the record, if this were most cities, there likely wouldn't be a single stop between Avenue Road and St. Clair station.

:lol Wow you envision a Deer Park without a Deer Park stop? Actually most bus or streetcar routes in the city actually do (or did :rolleyes ) have an imedaite local stop prior to entering the subway. Of course the exclusion would be subway stops without barrier-free access in which it's combined. Until they complete the new elevator it'll still be a circuitious link between streetcars and the trains below.

Shelters are supposedly to start showing up in April.

...and yet...

I emailed the city today on this. I'm getting sick of the concrete barriers at the stops. Looks gross. Steve Munro reported back in May that they'll start work in "July."

Meanwhile, Streetcar service is about to be disrupted again, from August until September while they work on the St. Clair West station. *Sigh*.

And then distrupted again when Phases II and III start. And yet they still have to extend the line to Jane or Scarlett or where ever.

Meanwhile, at least Hydro is at work between Vaughan and Dufferin.

As for stop spacing, I'd have at most five between St. Clair and St. Clair West: Yonge west side, Avenue east side, Warren/Russell Hill, Spadina, Tweedsmuir (only because of how uneasy it is to get from SCW station to street level), cutting two stops from the route segment. I don't understand the need for a far-side stop at Bathurst and at Vaughan either. One should be enough, probably on the west side of Bathurst.

Re: the transit shelters. I got a response today to my email asking when they would be installed. The email said: There were some procurement issues associated with the Transit Shelters hence the delay. However, the shelters should be up in the early fall.

Progress on St. Clair ROW

The old threads about St. Clair seem to have been abandoned so maybe it’s time to start a new one as we head into an intense period of construction activity.

So the shelters on Phase 1 were finally installed. The steel cables that close in the area under the railings seem too flimsy to resist vandalism. Hydro still has some wires and poles to remove.
The TTC will store 10 streetcars (includes 3 spares) up on St. Clair so they can run cars from Yonge to St. Clair W while the Bathurst tracks are rebuilt (the plan had been to completely remove streetcars for the 2008 construction season).

Phase 2 work has proceeded westward over the winter from just east of Dufferin. New rails and sidewalks are in place almost as far west as Lansdowne.

Phase 3 (Vaughan to Dufferin) is to get underway soon. Hydro has been working along this stretch since last spring. Rails were to be delivered this week and welded into long strings next week. The water mains will be replaced in this stretch along with the sidewalks and tracks. The heavy construction as far west as Winona is to be done by summer so as not to interfere with the Salsa on St. Clair festival. A public open house for Phase 3 is scheduled for April 9 with location tba.

The final phase (4), west from Caledonia to Gunn’s Rd. is also to get underway later this summer.
Hopefully things will go well and this project will finally get finished.

Same with the Fleet St repair. How long has it been to redo a 1km long section of track? hmm. I think i'm at 10 months and counting.

Same with the Fleet St repair. How long has it been to redo a 1km long section of track? hmm. I think i'm at 10 months and counting.

Service on Fleets is to resume March 29 for phase 1.

The Light House loop is to be done by May.

Rest of the street by July.

Will have a look at it on Sat as I am still lost as to where you catch the eastbound car at Fort York as there is no platform there now considering there is a westbound one.

Also, what happens to the other stops that where there?

I guess this is where the 500m walk comes into play.

Hydro is the fall guy for Fleet.

As for St Clair, weather is the fall guy. The Contractor doing this project has been pushing it a lot faster than the first phase.

Hydro is still doing major work between Oakwood-Dufferin and been at it over the past 6 months.

St Clair W loop is supposed to be put back into service around the 25th.

I'm confused. How can service return to Fleet on March 29 when the Lighthouse Loop (which I had thought they were eliminating) won't be done until May and the rest of Fleet won't be done until July? Where is the street car going to run if not into Lighthouse Loop or the rest of Fleet?

The TTC will store 10 streetcars (includes 3 spares) up on St. Clair so they can run cars from Yonge to St. Clair W while the Bathurst tracks are rebuilt (the plan had been to completely remove streetcars for the 2008 construction season).

I thought the TTC washed each bus and streetcar every night to wash off the previous day's dirt (and salt) accumulation. Are they going to have some sort of washing and cleaning operation set-up for the isolated streetcars on St. Clair? Or hope the rain will do the job for them?

A much better idea would have been to rebuild bathurst while St Clair was shut down anyways, why they could not do this is beyond me :confused:

The Fleet loop is not "the end of the line" and is used only to short-turn cars. If it's not available all cars will just go right through to Exhibition. (In fact the loop was too decrepit to use for about a year BEFORE construction started.) This project was supposed to be done in 2006/07 but was postponed because Hydro were not ready. When I walked there a few days ago all the rail was finishyed (except the loop), the centre poles for the TTC were all up and the wires were being strung. I assume the May construction is rebuilding the road itself, the TTC part is almost done.

Back