News   Jul 26, 2024
 783     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2K     2 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     3 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

Other problems?

Just typical TTC issues with stop placement. All stops are now after the lights, yet there doesn't appear to be any signal priority (similar to the situation on Spadina). Therefore, streetcars are stopping once at the lights and then again after the lights. Pure stupidity.

Bari, who suffered a drop in business during construction of the first phase, is happy that the nuisance is moving west, albeit only by a few steps. Yet he says the project is "very good for the future. But they should have done it in a very short time. Instead of six, seven months, they should have done it in two."

I know this is an oft-repeated refrain, but "If Madrid can build 75 km of subway in 4 years..." Quite seriously, my friend worked on the College streetcar track rebuilding project and he had unbelievable stories of inefficiency.

Here's a great one. How many months does it take to rebuild the crossover south of Wilson? It took 8 months from when the yellow flags and 25km/h signs went up before they went back down again.

Back in 1923, the TTC could rebuild the entire King/Queen/Roncesvalles/Lakeshore intersection (5 ways plus crhouse turnouts) in a single weekend, most of the time with cars in service.

Post's Toronto Magazine

Link to article

St. Clair streetcars sail
Philip Alves, National Post
Published: Saturday, February 24, 2007

In the early hours of Feb. 18, the 512 streetcar rolled back into full service along the strip of St. Clair between St. Clair station and Vaughan Road. For 19 long months, buses had ferried people to and fro while the TTC tried and ultimately succeeded in building the first phase of the planned 6.7-kilometre streetcar right-of-way. On its first day back in business, the 11 a.m. streetcar took just 15 minutes to travel the length of the new section.

Transit riders hadn't been able to take a streetcar on St. Clair Avenue between Yonge Street and Vaughan Road since July, 2005. Controversial from the start, the $65-million right-of-way will eventually continue its way west, just past Keele. Work on phase two, the route between Vaughan Road and Keele Street, is set to start in the early summer. Similar to the Spadina streetcar line, the St. Clair right-of-way is intended to decrease travel times for both TTC riders and motorists by keeping the two separated -- Toronto's trolleys work best when they're not playing in traffic.

"Good luck to the people on the other side [of Vaughan]," says Mehmet Bari, owner of Bari Delicatessen, a small shop at 524 St. Clair Ave. W., just east of Vaughan Road at the end of the newly completed stretch of track. "Now it's their problem. We suffered one year. I don't think we could handle another."

Bari, who suffered a drop in business during construction of the first phase, is happy that the nuisance is moving west, albeit only by a few steps. Yet he says the project is "very good for the future. But they should have done it in a very short time. Instead of six, seven months, they should have done it in two."

He adds that the city ought to do something to help the small businesses he says were negatively affected by the construction. "They have to do something," he insists. "The city can give long-term, small-interest loans or reduce property taxes -- something."

One concession being given to businesses and riders is a time-based transfer being tested on the 512 route. It gives streetcar passengers two hours to jump on and off as many times as they like.

The Pemberton exit at Finch also took like 7 months to tear down a chain link fence and rebuild a curb...most of the time was spent fixing the station ceiling underneath that presumably crumbled as soon as work started. Lots of buses that can don't even use the exit.

the 11 a.m. streetcar took just 15 minutes to travel the length of the new section
There is something wrong with that number. Maybe it includes the dwell time in St. Clair West station, or maybe it's the round trip. There is absolutely no way that it could possibly take 15 minutes to travel from Yonge to Bathurst on a streetcar given that the walk time is 20 minutes at a brisk pace.

No, I think it's 15 minutes from St. Clair to Vaughan Road.

Yes..it would take 15 minutes from Yonge to Vaughan. I just tried it last night and it took 10 minutes from St. Clair Station westbound to St.Clair West Station. Although I didn't time it to Vaughan, it would take 5 minutes for loading/unloading, going up the ramp, etc. to Vaughan.

yeah in the end it didn't do much, because the streetcars don't have complete right of way...the walk is not 20 minutes though, maybe 30.

yeah in the end it didn't do much, because the streetcars don't have complete right of way...the walk is not 20 minutes though, maybe 30.

Understatement of the year, and it's only early March :\ . After about a good year of rapid, reliable bus service on St Clair with 2 min maximum intervals between arrivals, low and behold the streetcars have returned with slower than before wait times, inability to clear stop lights or load quickly and as if that weren't enough the reno itself sucks. The platforms are worst than they were too, big and clunky. Where the heck are the windbreaking shelters? Why has the Yonge local stop been deleted?

Shelters are supposedly to start showing up in April.

You cannot judge the headway until the rest of the line is done. Yes you have good traveling time between St Clair West Station and Yonge Station, but it is to the west that the streetcars got to deal with.

If you put in the far side stop at Yonge, it would be almost in front of the entrance to the subway or 150 feet where riders get off at the station in the first place and that is a waste of money and travel time.

2 min maximum intervals between arrivals are you sure? I have seen buses bunch up and have wait up to 10 minutes for a bus.

^ Alot of people preferred to get off at the Yonge stop instead of entering the station. It's more convenient if you work inside one of the office buildings not to add a min walking time if you're running late. It also made transfering onto the 97 simpler. Anyway, I'm sure about those headways. From where I normally board (Lansdowne+St Clair) you rarely went beyond 2 mins waiting and could always spot like 3 buses approaching from Old Weston. Also being a loop stop there normally was always a bus parked in the loop awaiting departure.

I'm not anti-streetcar per se but I don't really see how this is so much better than buses which could hold 50 passengers, more or less the capacity of a streetcar, and were faster, more reliable and could beat changing traffic lights.

The buses absolutely did not come every 2 minutes. Living on St. Clair, I saw buses pass by every day, and while they did run more frequently, I once waited about 15 minutes. The majority of rush hour buses were jam packed, while the streetcars appear much less crowded. A comfortably crowded streetcar holds 60 people, with room for 40 more to spare. A bus is crowded at 40, and maxes out at maybe 65.

Wait until the rest of the ROW is complete. About 70% of the line still operates in mixed traffic which completely wrecks the schedule and posted frequencies.

the light standards are different from the historical stuff invading the downtown

Back