Toronto St Clair Place | 150m | 44s | Wittington | Diamond Schmitt

Diamond Schmitt.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.26.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.35.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 10.27.56 PM.png

The render up top is not without some appeal..............but the broad 'face' render in the middle..........is regrettable. Rigid, square, dull, lacking any originality.

Agree. From what they've shown us so far, it's a shopping arcade beneath three towers. Nothing wrong with that-- I'd much prefer it to the parking lots-- but not as revolutionary as they'd like.

And considering they call the towers landmarks in their submissions, I feel like either these aren't the final plans or I'm missing something. (The architectural plans show them to be rounded irregular shapes, rather than boxes, but it's not clear that the effect will be pronounced enough to make the buildings interesting or attractive.)

Edit: I guess I just hoped that after working on this for 15 years they'd wow me a bit more.

Would this help or hamper the 1 Delisle proposal?
I am liking the setbacks. Will the city try to force 750sqm floorplates vs the 850sqm proposed?

I vote hamper.
For Matlow et al. this will illustrate the risk of allowing 1 Delisle to set a height precedent.
Not that I disagree, but I find it difficult to think of other sites that at Yonge+St. Clair adjacent to low-rise residential that could accommodate this kind of height. Sure, there may be some redevelopment of existing commercial buildings on St. Clair or Yonge, but the impact on the "stable" neighbourhood would be fairly minimal.

This needs a finer grain at street-level. I mean, what they're proposing here is obliterating a whole chunk of Yonge St. A series of buildings should be replaced by something that at least tries to approximate the cadence and differentiation of a series of buildings. There's too much sameness in the podium.

Last edited:
Some height here would be great (great transit etc.)... but I'd trade it all to keep One Delisle (as designed? lol). Otherwise must find another location for Studio Gang's sweet masterpiece asap. If only it worked that way (One Delisle -I keep seeing the world's tallest artichoke for some reason, and love it).

Last edited:
Does anyone know where I can find the development application documents submitted to the city. There's nothing on the development application mapping portal.

Back