Mississauga Square One Expansions and Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Oxford Properties | MMC Architecture

Why would they take out Old Navy? Is it closing? Relocating? The space just isn't large enough for Holts - Doesn't make sense.

It makes more sense to put Holt's in front of Old Navy.

Was there an announcement about the location of Holt's?

Why would they take out Old Navy? Is it closing? Relocating?
Yes - Old Navy is moving to the new wing between Target and Sears. This has been discussed and it's in the renders.

That location makes sense for Holt if it becomes a 2 floor store, with Home Outfitters also vacating their current spot - it's not a busy store so they may be willing.

It doesn't make sense to be next to Dollarama on the lower floor, though.

That whole lower level with Dollarama and Home Outfitters has always been rather underutilized. It never fulfilled its potential due to the original plans getting changed midway during construction.

If Holt does do a 2 level store, they'd like having their own direct entrance at ground level, as well as from parking where they could offer valet parking.

A good location for Dollarama might be the lower level outside Target, by the new exits towards the Transit Terminal, or further down the hall where Shoppers and Bulk Barn are now - though even that depends on the eventual new tenant for the Sears space. I can't see Macy's (hypothetically) wanting a dollar store at their entrance.

July 13

I am expecting to see Holt on the lower level as well the main floor. That whole area was caused by not going ahead with the original design and plans for that area. It was a year delay as well wasting $35m for this thing back then and than OMER's for it.

There are tearing out the old police sub station and very little else is taking place until the other 3 retail are relocated in Aug.

The food court opens Aug 1. Going have to put in extra time to get the old food court ready for the Aug 1.
9278369797_90caf3eba1_b.jpg

9278370077_fa88e5895f_b.jpg

9278370201_703f21345c_b.jpg

9278370361_c33fe23635_b.jpg

This is an interesting new development. Now that Empire Theatres has sold its Square One Studio 10 location to Cineplex, it will be interesting to see if Cineplex keeps it open, or if they decide to sell the leasehold to someone else. From a business perspective, it is kind of redundant for Cineplex to keep both Coliseum and Studio 10 open at the same time given their close proximity. If they do decide to sell the leasehold, that's a lot of potential development/expansion space. I always felt that corner of the mall has always been dead, even more so now that the Johnny Rockets is gone.

I believe Landmark Cinemas has bought the Empire location at SQ1. I agree this part of the mall is greatly underused. Hopefully they spruce up the outside of the theatre, it's becoming an eye sore.

This is an interesting new development. Now that Empire Theatres has sold its Square One Studio 10 location to Cineplex, it will be interesting to see if Cineplex keeps it open, or if they decide to sell the leasehold to someone else. From a business perspective, it is kind of redundant for Cineplex to keep both Coliseum and Studio 10 open at the same time given their close proximity. If they do decide to sell the leasehold, that's a lot of potential development/expansion space. I always felt that corner of the mall has always been dead, even more so now that the Johnny Rockets is gone.

where did you get this information from?

I believe Landmark Cinemas has bought the Empire location at SQ1. I agree this part of the mall is greatly underused. Hopefully they spruce up the outside of the theatre, it's becoming an eye sore.

Oops, you're right, I misread. it is Landmark Cinemas that purchased it as part of their $55 million deal. http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/06/27/cinema_landscape_shifts_as_empire_sells_theatre_business.html

That location needs to have better selection of movies, not 80% Bollywood + 20% B-movies. Not sure how the bidding process works for popular movies, or if the studios choose where they want them screened...

Now that all the tenants in the lower level will be gone by Aug 1st, the real construction can get underway.

The police station is gone as well the walkway cover. Next to go is the skylight to lower level as well the entrance.

It looks like the corridor between Sears and Target will remain open at this time since crews were placing photos and decal for the expansion on the hording. They will have to put up protection as where the skyline is if the corridor remain open as it dead centre.

The retail info is in the retail thread.

The east section of the old food court eating area is open with all new material like the new expansion section. Work has started on the west section now.

New escalators have arrived where the old ones were and should be in place by September.

The escalators by Walmart should be in service next week or by the end of the month.

The escalators for the food court area cannot be install until that area is finish as well rest of the corridors since they are storing all the lifts there.

The more I see the columns with the marble on them, more I dislike them.

9326903677_dca74c8206_b.jpg

9329690290_1b912c0b01_b.jpg

9326894865_c42612a2a8_b.jpg

9326889749_70814f393e_b.jpg

9326866605_fd751488f5_b.jpg

9329655918_40ef48e200_b.jpg

9329653202_7f229809e9_b.jpg

9326811873_266f8c9544_b.jpg

9326806639_4aa49a7ec5_b.jpg

With the exception of the natural stone flooring, SQ1 has the most uninspired interior of any major GTA shopping mall. It's good that they're doing the renovation. It'll make a big difference.

Mobilicity has signs up that they will be closing July 30th for the renovations. So that whole area will be completely empty by July 31st except the post office.

Also the doors to the Burger King were open as I walked by and for a place that's opening in a week it didn't look like anything had been put up. No tiles, counters or any of that. Does it take long to put these stores together?

Also the doors to the Burger King were open as I walked by and for a place that's opening in a week it didn't look like anything had been put up. No tiles, counters or any of that. Does it take long to put these stores together?
The gas, plumbing, electrical and drywall take a long time in the beginning, but if that stuff is where it's needed to be then things like backsplashes and fixtures don't take that long. Almost everything is pre-fabbed off site and then fit together on location. I didn't see what you did, but a week is doable considering that the crews would be very experienced with everything - they use the very same furniture, equipment and POS at all locations.

The gas, plumbing, electrical and drywall take a long time in the beginning, but if that stuff is where it's needed to be then things like backsplashes and fixtures don't take that long. Almost everything is pre-fabbed off site and then fit together on location. I didn't see what you did, but a week is doable considering that the crews would be very experienced with everything - they use the very same furniture, equipment and POS at all locations.

Yeah after reading this they should be fine. It really was just those finale things that needed to be done. By the looks of it all the plumbing, drywall and electrical stuff was done.

Thanks for the answer!

Back