Mississauga Square One District | ?m | 65s | Oxford Properties | Hariri Pontarini

DJI_0892.JPG

_2_downtown.jpg

Unrelated but kind of not... does Playdium's closure have anything to do with this - or is it just being renovated? Their website has no info beyond saying its closed for the season.

Without a viable plan for higher order public transit this plan is half baked at best.
They do have the LRT and my understanding is that Oxford is a big fan of being as aggressive as possible on their parking ratios. But yea, 18,000 units (plus all the units developers other than Oxford are building in the area) is going to put a strain on even that. I'll be interested to see if we start to see a subway extension to Mississauga come into the cards over the next few years because of this.

Something similar should happen to those parking lots at Yorkdale Mall.

But this great. It will take at least 20 years before this is fully built out. So about 2040.

They do have the LRT and my understanding is that Oxford is a big fan of being as aggressive as possible on their parking ratios. But yea, 18,000 units (plus all the units developers other than Oxford are building in the area) is going to put a strain on even that. I'll be interested to see if we start to see a subway extension to Mississauga come into the cards over the next few years because of this.

From the city planner responsible for MCC:
"The Square One/Oxford Properties lands has a shared parking arrangement meaning not all parking has to be on the exact block that the building is located on, but can be in adjacent blocks (normally has to be on same property). Their parking requirement (parking rate) of 4.57 spaces per 100m2 was established approximately 20 years ago, and given the changes since that time, and how the Downtown is developing to become more urban, how we want to encourage people to take transit or walk instead of having everyone drive everywhere, they are seeking to reduce the parking requirement/rate. They are seeking a rate of 3.8 spaces per 100m2 for retail uses and 2.1 spaces per 100m2 for office uses and broaden the shared parking provisions across their lands. This would help facilitate redevelopment of some of their surface parking lots, as they will have to build in new underground parking for any redevelopment (which is quite costly)."

The best outcome would be the diversion of Milton line that keeps popping up every now and then.

I have being calling for years to do a branch line off the Milton Line to Sq On from both ends using EMU's assuming CP will agreed to EMU's. The tunnel will have to start north of Dundas from the south and north of the 403. The City needs a new transit Hub to handle 150,000 riders by 2040. There will be no service to Cooksville for this branch line and will be a different GO Service.

I have stated for over 10 years to council that the Mall is the white elephant in trying to create a downtown and the city has said the same thing. The mall needs to shrink to 1/5 of its size on a number of floors with development on top of it.

I have also stated of seeing 200-300,000 people living and working in this area and the 18,000 units doesn't cut it.

Do the math; if 37 towers are to be built, 7 will be office towers and this leaves 30 towers to hold 18,000 units. Other than a few tall towers, the rest will be midrise only. The city wants green space and a better grid system than what there is there today.

Oxford has already has been given permission to reduce parking standards for all its lands and it needs to fall more as the area will never support all the car traffic there and will be gridlock on Boxing day and other major events with transit being really screw.

Back