Toronto Spire Condos | 144.77m | 45s | Context Development | a—A

It bothers me that the ground level has a smaller footprint than the balconies directly above. I feel like the architect was going for a Commerce Court West-esque feel, but had to add balconies to appease the marketing team.

BTW I live in the senior-dominated building across Church street... your rooftop patio looks pretty happening! :D

The early renderings showed a silver tower, which I thought at the time was reminiscent of Commerce Court West - as if in homage to that building - much as the later 'X' is to the TD. I've heard it said that Clewes prefers not to have balconies on his towers, an idea that's supported by the fact that they tend to be glass-fronted so as not to interrupt the view.

To those of you that live in this building, was wondering if you could give me some insight. I'm (like many others) am looking for a unit in Sp!ire. I've heard from someone I know in real life that rented from there that the windows are quite drafty and as such, quite loud and cold whenever the wind picks up. As well some other finishes are a bit cheap, and the hallway sounds go right into units.

I didn't get that impression from the unit I looked at today in Sp!ire, but I was only there for a short period of time. I did notice that the building is very beautiful though. But hard to say about drafts and such things if you're not there by yourself and not there for long.

What do you guys say about this?

All help is much appreciated!! Thanks!

Last edited:
To those of you that live in this building, was wondering if you could give me some insight. I'm (like many others) am looking for a unit in Sp!ire. I've heard from someone I know in real life that rented from there that the windows are quite drafty and as such, quite loud and cold whenever the wind picks up. As well some other finishes are a bit cheap, and the hallway sounds go right into units.

I didn't get that impression from the unit I looked at today in Sp!ire, but I was only there for a short period of time. I did notice that the building is very beautiful though. But hard to say about drafts and such things if you're not there by yourself and not there for long.

What do you guys say about this?

All help is much appreciated!! Thanks!

I actually saw a unit in there this week - two bedroom under 900, on a high floor. I agree with the comment on the cheap finishes in the lobby and corridors.

Also, I found the balconies downright inhospitable - what I call " Suicide Balconies good for farting and the occasional cigarette". There really is an art to doing a good balcony-see Christopher Alexander's hypothesis about th cantileverd balony vs the recessed balcony.

So while I do like the building, its location, etc, I am a a tiny bit disappointed. A classic case of expectations being too high.

If you're looking for top quality, you'll have to move to Germany or Denmark... you're not gonna find a lot of it here!

I live in Spire.

Good things: Quick elevators, nice people, great location, good soundproofing between units.
Bad things: Windows noisy when it gets windy (i'm on the 35th floor). Also, noise travels between the balconies very easily so if your neighbour above or below you is on their balcony you can usually hear everything they are doing. Although for the most part it doesn't happen too often. I love the balconies and I have both of my sliding glass windows open as soon as it's over ten degrees out. Great air flow.

They've had to replace one window due to the seal breaking and I am currently waiting on the window company to replace another one.

I live in Spire.

Good things: Quick elevators, nice people, great location, good soundproofing between units.
Bad things: Windows noisy when it gets windy (i'm on the 35th floor). Also, noise travels between the balconies very easily so if your neighbour above or below you is on their balcony you can usually hear everything they are doing. Although for the most part it doesn't happen too often. I love the balconies and I have both of my sliding glass windows open as soon as it's over ten degrees out. Great air flow.

They've had to replace one window due to the seal breaking and I am currently waiting on the window company to replace another one.

With regards to the balconies , from my vantage point at London on the Esplanade I can see most of the south wall. It is really nice to see how so many have personalized their spaces. On a warm day it's so remarkable to see all the 'life' happening from top to bottom.
If ever there was a building that personified urban living, this would be it.

The balconies can be uninviting but it also allows for a clean slate to create your own outdoor space. I've built my own deck on one of my balconies and a vegetable garden on the other one.

Right this moment I'm eating tomatoes that were grown on my balcony! ha!

John Bentley Mays, from today's Globe and Mail. Source here.

-----------

Spire, 33 Lombard St.

Peter Clewes architect, architectsAlliance

This tall, modernist condominium building, clad entirely in glass, “simply understands where it is located and its purpose in the city.â€

It also met the jury's rigorous expectations about how a tower is supposed to behave at street level. “The north-facing grasses are healthy – except in the areas of the deepest shade – and appropriate for a reduced-light landscape design. Perhaps the designers initially wanted a single species of very hardy grass. Nonetheless, the final material palette used for the plantings remains restrained and is growing better than any other landscape the jury had visited.â€

But the jury did have one criticism that interestingly expressed its concerns: “There could have been some form of canopy incorporated into the project's design – the ground-floor retailers must pull down their blinds throughout most of the day to protect themselves and their goods from extreme sun, glare and solar gain.â€

Designers of the buildings that line our streets should take this caveat to heart, and make sure that architectural modernism works for the well-being of residents and commercial tenants alike.

Someone should take a photo of the top balcony on the east side of the building. The owner has covered the balcony with what looks to be multi-coloured blankets. Kind of neat. Then again it could just be laundry.

Hi neighbours, I live on the 35th floor and my name is Jeff! Just thought I would introduce myself.

-Jeff

Hey Jeff. I just moved onto the same floor (renting). Have big is that dog?

We should have a UT Spire BBQ on the 5th floor when it gets warmer.

Kenny

Back