Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Anyone know of a clear vantage point of York U station? Kaneff tower's glass is dotted.

York University Station, March 5 2014 by BB ON, on Flickr

This station is really behind. Steeles west also looks like a pit but it's hard to make anything out through the barriers. If it was warmer, I'd have also poked around there and VMC more. The latter is hidden behind tall dirt piles.

Highway 407 Station is huge and it took me a while to figure out what part I was looking at here:

n4Qm8aD.png

York, while it had some issues, is still on time.

Steeles west (Technically Pioneer Village, but I refuse to call it that) is the one with the biggest issues. If the contractor can't make up the lost time the line may be delayed even further.

Anyone know of a clear vantage point of York U station? Kaneff tower's glass is dotted.

York University Station, March 5 2014 by BB ON, on Flickr

This station is really behind. Steeles west also looks like a pit but it's hard to make anything out through the barriers. If it was warmer, I'd have also poked around there and VMC more. The latter is hidden behind tall dirt piles.

Highway 407 Station is huge and it took me a while to figure out what part I was looking at here:

n4Qm8aD.png

You can get better views at Kaneff from higher up and I've posted some before. Next time I'm there I'll try to get more. There really isn't much more than that to see right now. It does "seem" behind but it's hard to really look at all that and know where it's supposed to be. I expect a lot of work will get done in the spring/summer and it won't look much like that come this time next year.

You can get better views at Kaneff from higher up and I've posted some before. Next time I'm there I'll try to get more. There really isn't much more than that to see right now. It does "seem" behind but it's hard to really look at all that and know where it's supposed to be. I expect a lot of work will get done in the spring/summer and it won't look much like that come this time next year.

I poked around the 7th and 8th floors but the views of the site were behind office doors. The 9th and 10th were the University's P/VP offices so I didn't want to go rubbing my nose there.

York, while it had some issues, is still on time.

Steeles west (Technically Pioneer Village, but I refuse to call it that) is the one with the biggest issues. If the contractor can't make up the lost time the line may be delayed even further.

Such a shame, and I know it's unfortunate because somebody was killed during construction, but the Steeles West station would have been ideal for the Pan Am Games stadium which is right there.

Such a shame, and I know it's unfortunate because somebody was killed during construction, but the Steeles West station would have been ideal for the Pan Am Games stadium which is right there.

The line was never going to be ready for the Pan-Am Games. Before the shovels were in the ground the anticipated opening date was late 2015.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The line should have opened in stages with the first phase being Downsview to Steeles and phase two up to Highway 7 opening a year or two later. They we could have had the line open for 2015 Pan Am games. As it stands now the only new transportation built for the Pan Am will be the UPX.

The line was never going to be ready for the Pan-Am Games. Before the shovels were in the ground the anticipated opening date was late 2015.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The line should have opened in stages with the first phase being Downsview to Steeles and phase two up to Highway 7 opening a year or two later. They we could have had the line open for 2015 Pan Am games. As it stands now the only new transportation built for the Pan Am will be the UPX.

Except of course that the York U and Steeles stations are going to be the last to complete.

The only new transportation in the bid book for the games was the UPX and the GO extension to James Street North.

Both will be complete.

The subway extension was not part of the bid.

A staged opening, would have required that all the track, signals, power, etc., be contracted, installed, and commissioned in multiple contracts, increasing the cost.

The only new transportation in the bid book for the games was the UPX and the GO extension to James Street North.

Both will be complete.

The subway extension was not part of the bid.

A staged opening, would have required that all the track, signals, power, etc., be contracted, installed, and commissioned in multiple contracts, increasing the cost.

Just because it was not part of the bid does not mean it should not have opened in stages. Any layman could tell you that it look awfully bad that a transit line is planned to open within a year (maybe a bit more now) of the Pan Am Games - which we will have been planning for 6 years.

And the contract could have easily been a single contract with staggered opening. Of course it would have cost a bit more, but maybe it would have allowed the contractor to concentrate on the first 3 or 4 stations instead of all at once.

How much out of their way do they have to go if they just opened a barebones line, forgoing all the artwork and bells and whistles temporarily as a shuttle just for the games and then close until full completion?

How much out of their way do they have to go if they just opened a barebones line, forgoing all the artwork and bells and whistles temporarily as a shuttle just for the games and then close until full completion?

The last things installed are things such as station finishes and safety appliances for the public. Artwork and "bells and whistles" will be installed at that point, which also happens as they try and test and debug the other systems required for operating the subway (power, safety/security, signals, lighting, ventilation, etc.). What you are suggesting is not really feasible, as all of those systems need to be checked and commissioned before they are allowed to be used for service.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Well then, I guess the only possible way that they could meet the pan ams is to hire a night shift and work 24 hours a day like an airport

Back