Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Yes, it is single tracked, and will connect from the south-west switch of the current Downsview double-crossover to a point several hundred feet due-west of the current mainline portals. There is currently a project to expand Wilson Yard to the north into the land that had been cleared for some time, and along with the south "build-up" parallel to the mainline there will be a new "build-up" hostlers platform at the new portal.

The plan, as I seem to recall, involves building a new section of track to the east of the mainlines at a point north of the south entrance to Wilson Yard. It is entirely in the open.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Thank you!

I'm curious why is it necessary to have a new Wilson Yard connecting track?

I had the same question.

Right now, there are two exits from Wilson Yard onto the mainline, and only one "build-up". This new connecting track will allow for a third exit to the mainline, as well as a new "build-up". It will allow service to ramp up to the minimum headway at the beginning of the day quite a bit quicker than is possible today, and allow them to bring trains out of service quite a bit quicker. Basically, it will save on crewing costs.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Perhaps they could add another yard in the Spadina extension somewhere.

TTC recommended against this option as it would be inefficient operationally and be a duplication of staff a short distance apart with increased dead-heading (trains moving from/to start/yard position) losses. This was in a report a couple years ago regarding the expansion of Wilson Yard.

An expanded Wilson Yard and a renewed Davisville Yard were the most recommended options. Davisville has issues with the new TR (6 attached car) trains not fitting on all the tracks and you cant store one piece of the train here or there cuz it takes time to assemble vehicles. Davisville is being reviewed IIRC for more flexible uses. Additionally TTC proposed an underground storage yard north of Finch Station (adjacent to mainline) with three tracks each 4 train lengths for total of 12 train storage-only capacity.

TTC also recognized that Bloor yards were full and new yard capacity would be needed in near future. Talks were going on about Westwood Lands and Honeydale. TTC released Westwood lands to other uses so kinda in a pickle atm.

If TBM tunnel on average 15 meters a day and there was 113 meter left as of Nov 4th, that means Torkie should of reached VMC Station extraction shaft a few days ago.

TTC also recognized that Bloor yards were full and new yard capacity would be needed in near future. Talks were going on about Westwood Lands and Honeydale. TTC released Westwood lands to other uses so kinda in a pickle atm.

Perfect opportunity - Hunter Harrison's CP just shut down the Obico Yards. Very easy to build an overpass or short tunnel across the CP tracks.

^ I believe that Metrolinx is in the process of purchasing the connecting rail corridor Obico is on, so I expect it to become a GO yard. I'm sure they could squeeze in a small subway yard as well if they wanted to though, it's a huge site.

Any yard would have to be out in the suburban factory industrial lands to be able to build a large fully functional one. Maybe a Kennedy Yard along side the RT somewhere.

^ I believe that Metrolinx is in the process of purchasing the connecting rail corridor Obico is on, so I expect it to become a GO yard. I'm sure they could squeeze in a small subway yard as well if they wanted to though, its a huge site.

The whole reason why there is a big parking lot on the north side of Kipling Station is so that the TTC could build a subway yard there once the line is extended further west.

Why bother buying more land when they already have it in their possession?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back