Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

If the TTC is going with bare concrete interior walls like on the Sheppard line--not artistically cast like Montreal Metro stations in patterns--then they're still failing at design even upon hiring the world's greatest architects. That's just not acceptable.

Agreed. It's not like they lack money. Not finishing the walls is a cardinal mistake. It's the one thing that people invariably spend time looking at when they're in the subway system and it's the first thing that has the potential to look seedy, dirty and decrepit.

The interior walls of a subway station are the little thing that determine the aesthetics and experience of the whole package. They're analogous to good shoes as part of a complete wardrobe. You could be wearing a bespoke suit with a terrific shirt, tie and marvelous cufflinks but if you're wearing ratty sneakers then you end up looking like a bum. Your subway station could be designed by Norman Foster, but if you don't line the walls with something, they'll be sprayed with brake grease and cracked by water damage and scarred with limescale in 5 years time and that's all people will be staring at when they wait for their trains.

After speaking to a TTC representative at an open house, I was told that all stations would have the similar bare "architectural concrete" finish. They compared it to the stations on the Sheppard Line. This was a couple of years ago so perhaps the design plans have changed... not sure. I just hope that the final product on the station trainway walls don't end up looking like oppressive concrete commie walls! ;) It would be a wasted opportunity to do something wonderful at each station!

I have a feeling this was way long ago before the final station designs were released? I suggest you take a look at the renders for the stations in the Database!

Tunnelling is 98 % done! I would awesome there will be some sort of completion ceremony next week. I wonder if Rob Ford will be there?

Tunnelling is 98 % done! I would awesome there will be some sort of completion ceremony next week. I wonder if Rob Ford will be there?

Unless he resigns before then, I would imagine he would be. It would combine two of his favourite things: subways, subways, subways!, and taking credit for other people's work.

Today I went on a site visit and I decided to share what I saw.

A construction area across from Downsview station.
10680952155_f6e60e42e6_b.jpg

Heading down the extraction shaft.
10680985626_92ce463bb3_b.jpg

10680951935_56d5efa9a4_b.jpg

10681006544_3dea06fda7_b.jpg

10680984966_391d759a33_b.jpg

Behind the plywood is the tail track of Downsview station that will eventually be linked with the new tunnel.
10680980586_cca998f534_b.jpg

10681192523_1f11848713_b.jpg

This picture is not the best but I wanted to show the transition from the cut and cover to bored tunnel section.
10681005424_35e95fdb58_b.jpg

Entering the southbound tunnel. This is the tightest curve on the whole subway extension, however trains can still travel at full speed
10680983726_a1c24e0c8f_b.jpg

10680983436_32e7542dd4_b.jpg

10680949605_9fc3c2df55_b.jpg

10680982746_5c6a954cc1_b.jpg

Workers are installing ties in the northbound tunnel.
10680947725_8b5636db94_b.jpg

10680946895_cf656a7285_b.jpg

Next stop: Sheppard West station

Last edited:
I have some questions:

1) The new Wilson Yard connecting track. Is it just a single track leading south from the crossover south of Downsview (future Sheppard West) station? It has its own tunnel and is the track running south directly west of the main line or does it veer away to the west? Does it emerge from it's own portal far west of the main line portal and where exactly does it connect to Wilson Yard?

2) I believe they finally decided to move the storage track location to south of Downsview (future Sheppard West) station and have the trains short-turn at Wilson once the extension opens. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Where exactly will this storage track be located? Is it partly/fully underground and is it between the main-line northbound and southbound tracks like most storage tracks?

I'm just curious; any and all info. is always appreciated.

Thanks.

I have some questions:

1) The new Wilson Yard connecting track. Is it just a single track leading south from the crossover south of Downsview (future Sheppard West) station? It has its own tunnel and is the track running south directly west of the main line or does it veer away to the west? Does it emerge from it's own portal far west of the main line portal and where exactly does it connect to Wilson Yard?

Yes, it is single tracked, and will connect from the south-west switch of the current Downsview double-crossover to a point several hundred feet due-west of the current mainline portals. There is currently a project to expand Wilson Yard to the north into the land that had been cleared for some time, and along with the south "build-up" parallel to the mainline there will be a new "build-up" hostlers platform at the new portal.

2) I believe they finally decided to move the storage track location to south of Downsview (future Sheppard West) station and have the trains short-turn at Wilson once the extension opens. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Where exactly will this storage track be located? Is it partly/fully underground and is it between the main-line northbound and southbound tracks like most storage tracks?

I'm just curious; any and all info. is always appreciated.

Thanks.

The plan, as I seem to recall, involves building a new section of track to the east of the mainlines at a point north of the south entrance to Wilson Yard. It is entirely in the open.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back