Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I disagree. I think it's great that those people are taking the subway rather than driving all the way downtown. It would be nice if they were on buses for the first/last mile but by no stretch is passenger pickup and dropoff "sad" compared to auto-only commuting.

They probably don't want to pay a double fare anyways to continue on a bus, especially in bad weather.

I usually get a ride to the subway if it's a weekday morning because someone is already going right by it anyways and it saves me money on 905 bus fare.

Spending billions on transit to have people picked up by car is just sad.
And let's not miss the essential point beyond the junkie riders. For the most part, their 'trip' is paid for by Torontonians.

And yes, it is indeed sad that despite tens of billions of dollars in 905 transit investments, transit modal share is anticipated to decrease in the coming decades. We must not be satisfied with mediocrity.
It's absurd that these people are being catered to by subway instead of GO Transit. Is it good that they are taking transit into TO instead of driving the entire way? Well of course. What's scurrilous is their being catered to by TTC. This is an expensive, inefficient and slow way to get people into the core, and not only at the fiscal expense of Torontonians, who are subsidizing Vaughan riders, but denying Torontonians better transit by doing so by taking seats on trains that should be theirs.

I'm the first to bitch about Toronto expecting a free ride from QP on subway dreams, but that makes the point all the more abject that what little Torontonians have should be spent for the benefit of Torontonians. Sure York Region tossed in on building costs. They haven't on operating costs.

Meantime the King Pilot gets $1.5M to get new clothes while getting pimped...

Last edited:
Reactions: syn
Outside VMC on Friday during PM rush hour. Lots of cars waiting to pick up passengers:
View attachment 132205

And pretty crowded inside the entrance building:
View attachment 132206

Maybe York Region should try having a proper bus system. Spending billions on transit to have people picked up by car is just sad.

It's less bad than auto-only commuting. But we should absolutely be aiming to do better than this. Nobody should be satisfied with this situation, especially when our government is doing very little to fix the last-mile problem in the 905. This government loves pushing multi-billion dollar, vote-winning investments, yet completely absent are the relatively cheap and quick to implement policies, to enable these investments to be a success.

And yes, it is indeed sad that despite tens of billions of dollars in 905 transit investments, transit modal share is anticipated to decrease in the coming decades. If we want out region to be better in the future than it is today, we must not be satisfied with mediocrity.

Aspirational shortcomings aside, the large volumes of PPUDO passengers in the medium to long term at VMC Station is not at all sustainable. VMC is going to be a very dense, yet auto-dependant community, since the only way to effectively travel outside of VMC will be by car. On top of that, we're going to be adding hundreds (maybe thousands) of PPUDO customers at peak hour at VMC Station? It might be cute to see a relatively large volume of PPUDO customers at VMC today, but 20 or 30 or 40 years into the future, when VMC is properly built out, and the area is snarled by congestion, we're going to have a serious problem on our hands. This area is going to wind up like Toronto's City Place (in terms of transit accessibility), except VMC won't ever be one-fifth as transit friendly as City Place.

Come on York Region, get the ball rolling on a proper and functional surface transit network. The fact that we have a billion dollar subway extension, with no effective means of accessing it by transit, is absolutely pitiful .

It would be impossible to launch F-16s (or F-35s) from Billy Bishop or Oshawa Airport which are tiny little airports designed for cessnas or things with propellers. As for Pearson, doable but you would probably be conscripted at that point given how vital it is to the economy. They usage of Pearson would be a result of the MoD expropriating the land for military use using something like the emergency measure act.
Would be a full scale war that would require that. And with the USA I'd think - as anything else, it wouldn't be much use.

The RCAF has been participating in Operation Noble Eagle since September 2001, and is invariably covering this part of the Great Lakes (Canada and the USA) out of Bagotville. And perhaps Trenton - they seem a bit quiet on operational details, and there often does seem to be CF-18s there.

I doubt they'd need anything else, but if they did, I'd think Hamilton International would be the obvious choice, given all the extra space and capacity there.

Lots of development potential if those runways go. They could even straighten Sheppard, and relink Dufferin somehow. Hopefully Someone has forsight to trench an east-west subway tunnel before the opportunity vanishes after development, and we are stuck deep tunnelling.

Would be a full scale war that would require that. And with the USA I'd think - as anything else, it wouldn't be much use.

The RCAF has been participating in Operation Noble Eagle since September 2001, and is invariably covering this part of the Great Lakes (Canada and the USA) out of Bagotville. And perhaps Trenton - they seem a bit quiet on operational details, and there often does seem to be CF-18s there.

I doubt they'd need anything else, but if they did, I'd think Hamilton International would be the obvious choice, given all the extra space and capacity there.

Lots of development potential if those runways go. They could even straighten Sheppard, and relink Dufferin somehow. Hopefully Someone has forsight to trench an east-west subway tunnel before the opportunity vanishes after development, and we are stuck deep tunnelling.
Close the airport, dig a trench, build a tunnel, cover the tunnel, build utilities, cover utilities, and build a road? Nah, that doesn't make any sense, got to build a road first and then dig a tunnel underneath :D

They probably don't want to pay a double fare anyways to continue on a bus, especially in bad weather.

I usually get a ride to the subway if it's a weekday morning because someone is already going right by it anyways and it saves me money on 905 bus fare.

If they can get a ride and avoid a double gate why would they pay two fares...

Does anyone know if the Wilson Yard expansion is now complete? I believe it was planned to be complete in January 2018.

Still a lot of work to do. I don't believe that the new hostler is going to be open until May or June, and the completion of the construction would still be a couple of months after that.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Aspirational shortcomings aside, the large volumes of PPUDO passengers in the medium to long term at VMC Station is not at all sustainable. VMC is going to be a very dense, yet auto-dependant community, since the only way to effectively travel outside of VMC will be by car. On top of that, we're going to be adding hundreds (maybe thousands) of PPUDO customers at peak hour at VMC Station? It might be cute to see a relatively large volume of PPUDO customers at VMC today, but 20 or 30 or 40 years into the future, when VMC is properly built out, and the area is snarled by congestion, we're going to have a serious problem on our hands. This area is going to wind up like Toronto's City Place (in terms of transit accessibility), except VMC won't ever be one-fifth as transit friendly as City Place.

Come on York Region, get the ball rolling on a proper and functional surface transit network. The fact that we have a billion dollar subway extension, with no effective means of accessing it by transit, is absolutely pitiful .

Oh so in other words VMC will become as much of a gongshow as Finch Station has been for the past 20 years.

We also need proper fare integration.

When it's an additional $3.60 for a YRT fare (with relatively sub-par service) there is a huge incentive to make the first/last part of one's trip in a personal vehicle (parking or pick up/drop off). I wonder how this situation will change (if at all) as the under construction condos begin to be occupied.

Don't they have a LRT planned for 'downtown' Vaughan?

This is a legitimate problem for suburban stations built with the expectation that density will arrive at some point in the future.

Last edited:
If you call BRT on Highway 7 and Jane Street as "downtown" Vaughan, then yes. But there is no LRT/BRT line/loop within VMC.

Maybe something like this would be good for the time being:
VMC Shuttle.jpg

It allows for easy access to the attractions around the subway station: Ikea, Dave & Busters, GoodLife Fitness, Lowes, Walmart, and some offices. Ideally, it would accept both TTC and YRT as transfers, but not to transfer to another. So people coming via YRT/Viva or TTC Subway can use the shuttle bus without an extra fare/fee.

Attachments

• VMC Shuttle.jpg
    VMC Shuttle.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

Back