Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The area around VMC is already a bit of a traffic disaster.

Maybe it will improve once the west portion of the BRT construction is completed.

They really needed to build a better kiss and ride though.

My guess is eventually some people will gravitate to 407 station for easier drop off.

The area around VMC is already a bit of a traffic disaster.

Maybe it will improve once the west portion of the BRT construction is completed.

They really needed to build a better kiss and ride though.

My guess is eventually some people will gravitate to 407 station for easier drop off.
It really is poor planning from YRT that there's no real Kiss 'n Ride at the SmartCentres Place Bus Terminal, as it is only on-street. I believe there used to be a drop off "loop" next to the bus terminal, but it seems that the plan has changed to only have on-street pickup and drop off.
24295-84608.jpg

If you call BRT on Highway 7 and Jane Street as "downtown" Vaughan, then yes. But there is no LRT/BRT line/loop within VMC.

Maybe something like this would be good for the time being:
View attachment 132274

It allows for easy access to the attractions around the subway station: Ikea, Dave & Busters, GoodLife Fitness, Lowes, Walmart, and some offices. Ideally, it would accept both TTC and YRT as transfers, but not to transfer to another. So people coming via YRT/Viva or TTC Subway can use the shuttle bus without an extra fare/fee.

Ideally it would be free, subsidized by the businesses you mentioned and possibly the City of Vaughan. This type of free shuttle exists in many cities around the world.

If you call BRT on Highway 7 and Jane Street as "downtown" Vaughan, then yes. But there is no LRT/BRT line/loop within VMC.

Maybe something like this would be good for the time being:
View attachment 132274

It allows for easy access to the attractions around the subway station: Ikea, Dave & Busters, GoodLife Fitness, Lowes, Walmart, and some offices. Ideally, it would accept both TTC and YRT as transfers, but not to transfer to another. So people coming via YRT/Viva or TTC Subway can use the shuttle bus without an extra fare/fee.

York Region’s problem isn’t infrastructure, its service. All the infrastructure in the world doesn’t matter if you’re not serving yet. How about we start with baby steps, and ensure YR has a frequent and reliable bus network. If Brampton can do it, I’m sure York Region can too.

York Region’s problem isn’t infrastructure, its service. All the infrastructure in the world doesn’t matter if you’re not serving yet. How about we start with baby steps, and ensure YR has a frequent and reliable bus network. If Brampton can do it, I’m sure York Region can too.

If Brampton had to serve Caledon, contract out its operations to several private companies, and operate a specialized transit service on top of its bus network, it probably wouldn't have the service and ridership that it does.

That is false.

This issue often causes trouble at Main Stn, where this is 'standing room' for about 2 cars in front of the Stn and opposite it.

Neither is legal so far as I can recall.

Either way, you often get 3 or even 4 vehicles trying to crowd that space and over-reaching into the path of the bus or streetcar impeding entry/exit.

In that particular case, I always thought it would have made sense to remove a strip of landscape on the south side of the station, adjacent a laneway and use it for the pick up/drop off purposes.

However, the new poles for the panto wiring were placed into the existing pedestrian walkway on the north side (resulting in its closure), and my understanding is that path will now be moved to said landscape strip on the south side. I don't believe any pickup/dropoff is contemplated.

Once again... Brampton and York Region are two wildly different places. York Region could do everything that Brampton does, and their ridership would still be mediocre.

How so?

And, no, I don’t care about transit ridership in Georgina. I’m talking about the built up areas of the region.
I think we are about to hear, again, about how we in Brampton are all brand new immigrants who can't afford cars.....I think that is how the explanation goes in the transportation threads....in the threads that discuss the lack of condos in Brampton we are described as all being multiple car owning/dependent, monster home dwelling people.

As a long term resident of Brampton I am never really sure what I am supposed to be when I read about us on UT. ;) :)

When it's an additional $3.60 for a YRT fare (with relatively sub-par service) there is a huge incentive to make the first/last part of one's trip in a personal vehicle (parking or pick up/drop off). I wonder how this situation will change (if at all) as the under construction condos begin to be occupied.

I think the next step is to extend the TTC/GO 1.50 fare to Mississauga, Brampton, York and Durham (possibly subsidized by the Province/Metrolinx.)

I think the next step is to extend the TTC/GO 1.50 fare to Mississauga, Brampton, York and Durham (possibly subsidized by the Province/Metrolinx.)

I've thought about this... And I doubt it makes that much of a difference to the TTC, I'm willing to guess that the percentage of TTC's riders that come in from, for example, York Region is rather insignificant. However I'd guess that a large majority of YRT/VIVA riders DO transfer to the TTC.

So if for example a shared fare structure were put into place where the combined fare were some value that is lower than the full fare cost of both systems ($3+$3.60=$6.60), for argument sake lets say $5. This fare is than shared equally among the two transit systems, TTC gets $2.50, and YRT gets $2.50. I have a feeling that YRT would feel a greater pinch from this structure vs the TTC. Hopefully what I'm trying to say is clear.

YRT may not be able to accommodate a subsidized fare such as this, where TTC would certainly see a loss of revenue as well but the loss would be a drop in the bucket compared to YRT. Does the Provincial government step in and cover the lost revenue from the discounted co-fare???

People in Brampton tend to live closer to where they work than people in Markham, Vaughan and Richmond Hill (all four cities have roughly the same percentage of their population taking public transit to work). They're also less likely to work in Toronto. So what's a lot more common in the latter three is for people to drive to or get dropped off at a TTC or Go Train station.

If Brampton had to serve Caledon, contract out its operations to several private companies, and operate a specialized transit service on top of its bus network, it probably wouldn't have the service and ridership that it does.

Yup, YRT's service area is basically one of the largest service areas of any municipality in North America.

Back