Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Well the numbers won’t be shared until after the election. Plus what does the province have to do with this? Until Ontario PCs get elected and take over subways, the TTC still runs them and decides service levels and pays for funding. York Region has little to say as they are not operating the stations or the trains. The TTC board can vote to reduce service to save costs. It won’t happen in 2018 for sure as you said it’s an election year and politicians will want to save face. That’s why the numbers won’t be published for public to see until 2019. It’s why SSE cost inflation will be in 2019 not 2018.

Well the numbers won’t be shared until after the election. Plus what does the province have to do with this? Until Ontario PCs get elected and take over subways, the TTC still runs them and decides service levels and pays for funding. York Region has little to say as they are not operating the stations or the trains. The TTC board can vote to reduce service to save costs. It won’t happen in 2018 for sure as you said it’s an election year and politicians will want to save face. That’s why the numbers won’t be published for public to see until 2019. It’s why SSE cost inflation will be in 2019 not 2018.

The province had a hand in creating the extension as a sort of pet project by then cabinet Minister Greg Sorbara whose riding the subway went to. The Minister of Transportation holds the riding currently. There were other priorities but this was the one that was deemed worthy of building by the liberals at the time. More of a way to garner votes in the 905 than anything.

The TTC really did not want to build it, they did not want to operate it but the liberals had a hand in forcing them to.

All things considered the optics of it would point to liberal interference forcing a white elephant on the TTC. For a party that is at risk of being decimated nothing could be worse than a multi-billion dollar white elephant.

The TTC pays for everything because that is what the agreement says. York Region got a subway built to nowhere and pays nothing to operate it. Thank you Dalton Mcguinty and Kathleen Wynne!

There is no need for frequent service north of steeles. I say give them 10 minute service north of Pioneer Village.

During the morning rush, every other Line 1 train turn back at Glencairn Station to give 4' 22" service from Lawrence West to Yaughan Metropolitan Centre Stations, 2' 21" from Glencairn and south to downtown then up to Finch Station. See link.

Changes possible after January 6, 2018.

When the line first opened, I heard the line had surprisingly good ridership, and now everybody's calling it a white elephant.

When the line first opened, I heard the line had surprisingly good ridership, and now everybody's calling it a white elephant.
“Good ridership” from the first few days were mostly people checking out the new extension. Like others have mentioned, we should wait a few months before judging the ridership.

This extension is expected to move 7,000+ pphpd, in 2031. It’s a long way to 2031. So even if ridership is according to plan, it’s going to be a pretty big hole in the TTC operating budget for the next decade or so at least.

Considering this line primarily serves a big university and the university is closed as well as a very lax time for businesses, don't you think calling it a white elephant is a tad premature? I think this was a very good investment and even though the extension north to VCC may seem a bit much, I think Vaughn City is doing a very admirable job of creating high density around the stations which will bear ridership fruit in a couple of years.

I also don't think this will be a burden on the TTC as Toronto's only responsibility is to Steeles and York U will get a big draw and the TTC will benefit from York Region paying customers.

I'm really concerned that VCC will be what Bayview and Leslie are right now: A huge high rise cluster on a subway line... yet still car dependent.

I'm really concerned that VCC will be what Bayview and Leslie are right now: A huge high rise cluster on a subway line... yet still car dependent.

VMC will be a mixed use community, but no community is self contained. People will still have to travel in and out of VMC for all kinds of reasons. If YRT service continues to suck then a car culture will surely take hold there.

Sheppard is interesting because the LRT hasn't been built yet, there's no connection to the Spadina subway, and using the subway is only really useful if you're heading south to midtown or downtown. From what I've heard, lots of people in the area take the subway, but since they don't have to take the subway daily, ridership levels spike some days and flatten out others. I've seen days where I can barely get on a Sheppard train or had to wait for the next one because of space constraints, and others where there is no one on it despite being the same time of day during a weekday. (ie, fridays being busier than tuesdays per say). This is likely to happen with VMC, especially if YRT can't get it's act together. No one will see a need to take the subway unless they are going downtown, and midtown won't be opened up until the crosstown opens in 3 years.

Considering this line primarily serves a big university and the university is closed as well as a very lax time for businesses, don't you think calling it a white elephant is a tad premature? I think this was a very good investment and even though the extension north to VCC may seem a bit much, I think Vaughn City is doing a very admirable job of creating high density around the stations which will bear ridership fruit in a couple of years.

I also don't think this will be a burden on the TTC as Toronto's only responsibility is to Steeles and York U will get a big draw and the TTC will benefit from York Region paying customers.

Actually the TTC pays to operate the entire line be it north or south of Steeles. The only benefit from York Region is the minimal amount of paying customers.

When it comes to billion dollar subways the build it and they will come theory won't fly. This isn't a baseball field and ghosts are not riding the Subway. Just because you can build a station into the boonies doesn't mean you should.

Sheppard is interesting because the LRT hasn't been built yet, there's no connection to the Spadina subway, and using the subway is only really useful if you're heading south to midtown or downtown. From what I've heard, lots of people in the area take the subway, but since they don't have to take the subway daily, ridership levels spike some days and flatten out others. I've seen days where I can barely get on a Sheppard train or had to wait for the next one because of space constraints, and others where there is no one on it despite being the same time of day during a weekday. (ie, fridays being busier than tuesdays per say). This is likely to happen with VMC, especially if YRT can't get it's act together. No one will see a need to take the subway unless they are going downtown, and midtown won't be opened up until the crosstown opens in 3 years.

There's something to be said about Queen's Park and York Region's willingness to invest billions in capital infrastructure, while refusing to provide adequate transit services on the rest of the network. One subway stop will not make for a successful transit network. Neither of these governments have shown an interest in building and operating a robust transit network in York Region, beyond a handful of BRT routes that make for good ribbon cutting.

There's something to be said about Queen's Park and York Region's willingness to invest billions in capital infrastructure, while refusing to provide adequate transit services on the rest of the network. One subway stop will not make for a successful transit network.

The network also doesn't just serve one area of the city. If you get rid of all the one stops, you're left with nothing. It all matters, the government just doesn't like spending money on the expensive things that would do the most good for the city.

Back