Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

In isolation, building the Leslie/Oriole interchange sounds like a fantastic idea. But given the countless other deficiencies in our network, I can't say its a particularly high priority. Especially when the Relief Line will supposedly be running very close to there in the not too distant future (supposedly).

Not sure what the cost would be for this, but I have to imagine it's relatively cheap when compared to other things...not to mention they're building like 12 condos right beside this station, how come no deal can be made with the developer to help pay for shifting the station a few metres north? The most expensive aspect of this would be widening the bridge over the loca road to accommodate a platform.

Not sure what the cost would be for this, but I have to imagine it's relatively cheap when compared to other things...not to mention they're building like 12 condos right beside this station, how come no deal can be made with the developer to help pay for shifting the station a few metres north?

It might be relatively cheap but it still has no upside. The Go Train only runs during rush hour. There are plans to increase service frequency but not to increase service hours, since double-tracking would be very expensive and the Yonge extension will make it redundant. And even if the transfer becomes free, nobody will make the transfer because it takes just as long to get to Union when you factor in the average wait time (5-10 minutes with more frequent service) and you're exposed to the elements at the Go Train station.

It would be tens or hundreds of millions of dollars spent so that a couple hundred people walk 600 meters instead of 750 meters. That makes absolutely no sense.

It might be relatively cheap but it still has no upside. The Go Train only runs during rush hour. There are plans to increase service frequency but not to increase service hours, since double-tracking would be very expensive and the Yonge extension will make it redundant. And even if the transfer becomes free, nobody will make the transfer because it takes just as long to get to Union when you factor in the average wait time (5-10 minutes with more frequent service) and you're exposed to the elements at the Go Train station.

It would be tens or hundreds of millions of dollars spent so that a couple hundred people walk 600 meters instead of 750 meters. That makes absolutely no sense.

Pull a union station solution: install a moving walkway! But I'm honestly surprised many TTC commuters don't take advantage of the free parking at Oriole, it's quite a large lot and it's sheltered.

Viva to YRT at VMC vs TTC to YRT Bus Terminal at Pioneer Village vs Spadina to Spadina Streetcar vs Leslie to Oriole vs Union to Queens Quay vs Scarborough Centre Station to GO Bus Terminal. What is the ranking from worst to less worse and what other transfers are there that are “long walks”?

Viva to YRT at VMC vs TTC to YRT Bus Terminal at Pioneer Village vs Spadina to Spadina Streetcar vs Leslie to Oriole vs Union to Queens Quay vs Scarborough Centre Station to GO Bus Terminal. What is the ranking from worst to less worse and what other transfers are there that are “long walks”?

Scarborough is deceptively easy if you are going from the TTC to GO.. you can literally just walk around the barricade as you pay on the bus. Heading from GO to the TTC is a bit more complex as you need to walk upstairs then back down again.

Scarborough is deceptively easy if you are going from the TTC to GO.. you can literally just walk around the barricade as you pay on the bus. Heading from GO to the TTC is a bit more complex as you need to walk upstairs then back down again.
I mean for the future subway station. Platform to GO bus.

To change the topic away from washrooms, I wonder why there's a crossover at Finch West station when there's a centre track also? Are pocket tracks better for short turning trains at non-terminal stations to minimize interference with through trains?

A crossover is handy in the event of an emergency, and trains need to be turned back quickly.

The centre track will come into its own when the time comes to extend the morning short-turn services up to there. That way a train can be "stored" there off of the main until its slot, and trains can pass in either direction. Until then, they're also handy for parking disabled trains until there's a large enough gap to get them down to the yard.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

A crossover is handy in the event of an emergency, and trains need to be turned back quickly.

The centre track will come into its own when the time comes to extend the morning short-turn services up to there. That way a train can be "stored" there off of the main until its slot, and trains can pass in either direction. Until then, they're also handy for parking disabled trains until there's a large enough gap to get them down to the yard.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This is what they did at St Clair West if I am not mistaken. I see them park trains in the tails at Kennedy quite often as well.

This is what they did at St Clair West if I am not mistaken.

There's no crossover at St.Clair West - just the centre track north of the station.

For the record, this is also why there is one north of Glencairn, and why there was planned to be one between Wilson and Downsview Stations.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back