Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Province: We'll buy it for a dollar and pay all of its costs hereafter. If you have a willing buyer and a corporation is a willing seller, I'm not sure how the Constitution gets involved. There would be no doubt a myriad of complex details to work out; for example, the province would have to pay the TPS, TFS and EMS for resources expended responding, or come to some kind of 'grant-in-lieu' arrangement. I agree it might well be a dead issue now.

Serious question, why don't the station signs have the street names underneath them? At Vaughan Metropolitan Centre and Pioneer Village Stations, they should indicate Highway 7 and Steeles Ave below them. They have this for the Downtown Stations, why not for the new extension with station names that aren't the street names (or points of interest)?

Probably because the TTC just doesn't care enough about it. It would be a huge issue in the media if they had to spend a good 20-100K to replace all the signs on the TYSSE to showcase that.

Probably because the TTC just doesn't care enough about it. It would be a huge issue in the media if they had to spend a good 20-100K to replace all the signs on the TYSSE to showcase that.
Replace all the signs? Assuming there’s ~10 station name signs per station, then wouldn’t there only need to be 20 signs (Highway 7 and Steeles Ave) made at a smaller font and placed underneath the existing signs?

There is no separation of powers between Provincial and Municipal governments - Municipalities operate "at the pleasure of the province". If the province felt like it, tomorrow Dougie could introduce a new bill to Queens Park that would abolish the City of Toronto and put it under direct Provincial administration.

What this means is that the province can over-rule literally anything the City does. As seen when Tory tried to toll the DVP and Gardiner. Or when Harris forced amalgamation onto municipalities. Or forced downloading of responsibilities.

Ford, to upload the subway, would simply need to pass a bill declaring it, and Toronto would have to comply.

There is no separation of powers between Provincial and Municipal governments - Municipalities operate "at the pleasure of the province". If the province felt like it, tomorrow Dougie could introduce a new bill to Queens Park that would abolish the City of Toronto and put it under direct Provincial administration.

What this means is that the province can over-rule literally anything the City does. As seen when Tory tried to toll the DVP and Gardiner. Or when Harris forced amalgamation onto municipalities. Or forced downloading of responsibilities.

Ford, to upload the subway, would simply need to pass a bill declaring it, and Toronto would have to comply.
If the City doesn't agree to the upload, then I suppose Ford could say that if the City votes to retain the subway network, then they should pay for it's maintenance and expansion.

I was recently shocked by a major omission by Google Maps that falsely added 25 minutes to Canada's Wonderland journeys.

See diagrammed:

upload_2018-7-24_1-19-56.png

Google "Toronto Union Station to Canada's Wonderland"

Google Maps falsely claims taking the subway to Canada's Wonderland takes:
1 hour 40 min
That is incorrect, it is only 1 hour 15 min

DiltnftXcAA79RI.jpg

DiltUpUXsAAaM7y.jpg

So I reported it to Google. (You should too) (and City of Toronto should use their tool too)

Dilx84IXkAA5QJP.jpg

Countless people have been falsely discouraged about how useless the Vaughan subway is for getting to Canada's Wonderland.

But this is simply a minor omission in Canada's Wonderland that falsely inflates Google Maps trip estimates for a Canada's Wonderland public transit trip.

People do use the new subway extension for Canada's Wonderland (with the #20 bus transfer) -- it's quite a comfortable ride to Canada's Wonderland with only 1 transfer. Just 1h 10min.

Shuttle buses may be faster offpeak but the subway is significantly faster at peak, but the 25 minute penalty from the Google Map omission is.... rather shocking.

The audacity of this oversight is amplified when you see this:

upload_2018-7-20_21-16-53.png

....Google Maps lets you do GPS walking directions between two rides!

If this love was all spilled lovingly into updating Google Maps, then the oversight is quite -- blatantly -- ridiculous.

*Bangs head on desk*
*headdesk*
*headdesk*
*headdesk*

Surprised nobody has fixed/reported this til now.

Thousands of people googlemap "Union Station to Canadas Wonderland" and it's a falsely inflated result of 1h40min for subway trips.

Just because of *this*

Thousands of people have done these Transit Directions search already.

We spend this big $ on a subway to Vaughan, and yet this oversight ("Vaughan subway seems worthless for Canadas Wonderland" is a comment I've heard) -- still remains uncorrected to this date? A simple matter of Google Maps fixing their pedestrian routes, from user reports & city of Toronto reports.

Hopefully this get fixed quickly by Google now.

Surprised this was uncorrected to this date.

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-20_21-16-53.png
    upload_2018-7-20_21-16-53.png
    314 KB · Views: 695
  • upload_2018-7-24_1-19-56.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 945
Last edited:
Google, one of the richest Internet companies in the world and pays the people in charge of updating the maps for Google Maps more than the median income in the United States, does not consider the crosswalk by Wonderland's entrance on Jane Street?

Shame!

Even OpenStreetMaps did a better job and no one is paid a single cent to do any of that.

By 2050 when there's a new extension subway stop directly at Canada's Wonderland, that's WHEN Google Maps finally fixes the missing crosswalk.

Wouldn't be surprised, actually.

I've heard horror stories where Googles infinitely ignores user-submissions for several years.

I do have one personal "Google Map Add Place" success: Germania Park, Hamilton .... But it took several months to get approved.
Before: www.twitter.com/mdrejhon/status/750901315711168512
After: www.twitter.com/mdrejhon/status/756557492033843200
It took quite a long time before I successfully got this added, and I had to show proof photographs to GoogleMaps.

Last edited:
Dont worry, knowing the way our politicians operate, i'm sure there will be a subway extension to Vaughan Mills way before the DRL or Scarborough subway extension begin construction.
Don’t be silly. That’s not true...only becuz they can’t plan it that fast.:rolleyes:

But back on the topic, I drove past Vaughan Mills last weekend and thought how cool it would be if the subway went there. I simply can’t be bothered to drive there from the city, but I’d take the subway in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
If the subway went all the way to Vaughan Mills, those stale condo proposals on Jane near the mall would sell. :)

But seriously though, why would not having the subway up here be mind-boggling? There are other corridors more deserving of a subway extension than VM.

Last edited:

Back