Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I may be more dim-witted than I knew.
It was subtle, I can certainly see how it was buried, but was to do with the (in essence) RH to Union debate. Some posters are making a different case for present happenings (Kiss and Ride at VMC) as opposed to what could/should have been.

It is a complex discussion, and I sense Metrolinx themselves are about to shed their spots of some of their prior claims in obviously slanted reports basing a lot of the 'northern expansion' justification on.

For the life of me, even if I were to support subways, why would you bury them at multiples more cost and time to build when you don't need to?

Last edited:
It was subtle, I can certainly see how it was buried, but was to do with the (in essence) RH to Union debate. Some posters are making a different case for present happenings (Kiss and Ride at VMC) as opposed to what could/should have been.

It is a complex discussion, and I sense Metrolinx themselves are about to shed their spots of some of their prior claims in obviously slanted reports basing a lot of the 'northern expansion' justification on.

For the life of me, even if I were to support subways, why would you bury them at multiples more cost and time to build when you don't need to?
This thread has just become a GO Train vs Subway for commuters.

I think York Region is basically a asymmetrical federation. Revenues from Vaughan, Richmond Hill and Markham subsidize services in King, Stouffville, East Gwillimbury, and Georgina.

This is true. Though using revenues from the core to fund suburbs is exactly what made Metro successful. The difference is the sheer size and impossibility of knitting the fabric together, as Toronto could. It's a rural /urban thing more than anything else.

Oh, and per above, York contracting out to multiple companies is a policy choice, not a burden they have to bear. One could debate but arguably it's a choice that works (eg in a strike, the whole system doesn't go down.)

There are currently 6,773 units proposed, under construction, or built. At the standard apartment rate of 1.9 people / unit, you arrive at an estimated population of 13,546.

Given that 2031 buildout population is supposed to be 25K, that's awful impressive, if more than half is already in the pipe. But I know, it's a subway to nowhere....

Last edited:
Thought I would calculate a total unit count and estimated population for VMC for existing residential development proposals in the area.

There are currently 6,773 units proposed, under construction, or built. At the standard apartment rate of 1.9 people / unit, you arrive at an estimated population of 13,546. The only two buildings completed today have a combined 704 units, with an estimated population of 1,338. This means that VMC can be expected to grow by 12,208 people upon build out of existing proposals (with more coming), or a growth rate of 1012%. This is likely to occur sometime around 2020-2022.

There are currently 3,814 of these units under construction, about 7,250 people, with an additional 2,255 units proposed. All units have been marketed, and the vast majority have been sold.

Factor in the reverse commutes of office workers to the 4 built or proposed office towers in VMC (RBC, KPMG, YMCA Office component, i cant remember the other office development but IIRC it is part of the proposal of the hotel site on the south side of hwy 7)

From Reddit:
https://i.redd.it/vg6dv29rkqb01.jpg

vg6dv29rkqb01.jpg

Anyone have a ridership update? (Subjective, obviously hard numbers won't be out for a while)

Back